MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's and women's cross country teams opened their seasons at Saint Anselm College's Shacklette Invitational on Saturday, when first-year Maggie Burnham (Holden, Mass./Wachusett Regional) made her college debut with a ninth-place finish.
- The women finished third out of three schools with 74 points, behind a pair of squads ranked regionally by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). Southern New Hampshire University, which won with 28 points, is ranked sixth in the latest East Region poll, while host Saint Anselm (31) is 10th.
- On the men's side, the Purple Knights were third among three with 76 points. Regionally-ranked Southern New Hampshire, which is fourth in the region, won with the minimum 15 points. Saint Anselm (51) was second.
- First-year Maggie Burnham (Holden, Mass./Wachusett Regional), 9th of 43 runners in 5K race, 20:45.34
- First Purple Knight to make college debut with a top-10 finish since senior Abby French (Nashua, N.H./Academy of Notre Dame) was second at the Shacklette Invitational in 2016
- Sophomore Ingrid Boland (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), 20th, 21:42.54 (PR)
- Senior Emma Koukos (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 22nd, 21:53.98
- First-year Cailey Comiskey (Swanton, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union), 23rd, 21:54.66
- Sophomore Hannah Muse (Yarmouth, Mass./Nauset Regional), 24th, 22:14.92
- Sophomore Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 28th, 22:49.58
- First-year Grace Erholtz (Baxter, Minn./Brainerd), 29th, 23:02.43
- Sophomore Liam Gay-Killeen (Rowley, Mass./Triton Regional), 14th of 32 runners in 8K race, 29:34.51
- Sophomore James Downs (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 17th, 29:49.59
- Sophomore Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry), 19th, 30:34.33
- Senior Kevin Jeter (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie), 21st, 30:50.11
- First-year Ethan Snook (Marblehead, Mass./Marblehead), 22nd, 31:09.29
- Senior Christopher Bittel (San Jose, Calif./Bellarmine College Prep), 23rd, 31:30.95
- Sophomore John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 24th, 31:50.43
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Sept. 21 at Middlebury College's Aldrich Invitational.
- The women's race starts at 10 a.m. before the men kick off at 10:45 a.m.