MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's and women's cross country teams opened their 2018 seasons with matching fifth-place finishes at Saint Anselm College's 37th annual Shacklette Invitational on Saturday.
- Women, 5th of 5 schools with 116 points during 5K. Three opponents were ranked in last year's final U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) East Region poll, including Bentley University, which Saint Michael's trailed for fourth place by only six points.
- Men, 5th of 5 schools with 133 points during 8K. Three men's foes also landed in the final USTFCCCA East Region poll of 2017. Saint Michael's trailed host Saint Anselm by 17 points for fourth place.
- Junior Abby French (Nashua, N.H./Academy of Notre Dame), 7th, 20:06; 7th career top-10 finish
- First-year Hannah Muse (Yarmouth, Mass./Nauset Regional), 28th, 21:31
- Senior Emily Calder (Hopkinton, N.H./Hopkinton), 32nd, 21:58
- First-year Eleanor Devereux (Jericho, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union), 40th, 22:15
- Senior Kara Hettinger (Lindenhurst, Ill./Saint Joseph Catholic Academy), 43rd, 22:21
- First-year Alexus Day (Belmont, N.H./Belmont), 46th, 22:30
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 47th, 22:31
- First-year Liam Gay-Killeen (Rowley, Mass./Triton Regional), 23rd, 28:43
- Junior Kevin Jeter (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie), 34th, 29:50
- Senior Nathan Terry (Reading, Mass./Tilton School), 42nd, 30:39
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 43rd, 30:43
- First-year James Downs (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 44th, 30:43
- Senior David Baird (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth), 46th, 31:11
- First-year Matt Gianni (Stowe, Vt./Stowe), 47th, 31:22
- Both teams opened their seasons at the Shacklette Invitational for the sixth straight year.
- Seven of Purple Knight women's top 10 were first-years making their college debuts, as were six of the men's team's top nine.
- Merrimack College won the women's meet with 29 points, while Southern New Hampshire University won the men's portion behind 22 points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Sept. 15 at Middlebury College's Aldrich Invitational; men at 1 p.m. and women at 2 p.m.