COLCHESTER, Vt. - The largest first-year class in 20 years should help complement a small, veteran core on the Saint Michael's College men's cross country team this fall.
Head Coach: Joe Connelly '87 (18th Year)
2017 Northeast-10 Conference Championship: 11th/15
2017 NCAA East Regional Championship: 20th/27
Newcomers (First-Years): 9 (8)
Placed third at back-to-back September meets on the campus of Middlebury College, including the eight-school Vermont Intercollegiate Championship ... despite taking only five runners to the NCAA East Regional Championship - including missing two of regular top seven - still bested seven schools ... eight first-years are program's most since 1998, and match entire roster size for team at conclusion of 2017 campaign ... harriers that occupied 20 of 40 scoring positions last year return.
For the third straight year, Saint Michael's will run on consecutive weekends only once this fall, with the schedule otherwise set up for one race every two weeks ... the Purple Knights open the season on Sept. 1 at Saint Anselm College's Shacklette Invitational before the next two races both take place in Vermont: at Middlebury College's Aldrich Invitational on Sept. 15 and at the Vermont Intercollegiate Championship on Northern Vermont University-Lyndon's campus on Sept. 29 ... after attending the multi-division James Earley Invitational at Stanley Park in Westfield, Mass., on Oct. 6, the Purple Knights will visit the Hopkinton State Fairgrounds in Contoocook, N.H., for back-to-back events, racing in the Bruce Kirsh Cross Country Cup on Oct. 20 before returning for the NE10 Championship on Nov. 4 ... the NCAA East Regional Championship is Nov. 17 in Bethpage (N.Y.) State Park ... qualifiers head to the NCAA Championship on Dec. 1 in Pittsburgh.
- David Baird (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) | among team's top four finishers at all six meets
- Lance Reynolds (Mansfield, Mass./Mansfield) | competed at five races | among team's top seven twice
- Nathan Terry (Reading, Mass./Tilton School) | one of team's top five finishers at all six meets during first season of college running
- Kevin Jeter (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie) | team's top scorer in each of final five races
- Christopher Bittel (San Jose, Calif./Bellarmine College Prep) | competed in four races | among team's top seven three times
- Bailey Roca (Greenlawn, N.Y./Harborfields) | first season of college running
- John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional)
- Jake Donnelly (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry)
- James Downs (Winchester, Mass./Winchester)
- Liam Gay-Killeen (Rowley, Mass./Triton Regional)
- Matt Gianni (Stowe, Vt./Stowe)
- Nate Hartley (Hadley, N.Y./Hadley-Luzerne)
- Tynan Reed (Stow, Mass./Landmark School)
- Ty Santos (Wenham, Mass./Hamilton-Wenham Regional)