COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team capped its 2019 season with a 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-23) loss to Pace University on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ross Sports Center. The Purple Knights honored their three seniors following their final college match.
- Saint Michael's (1-20, 0-13 NE10), Pace (4-23, 3-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 9 kills, 2 blocks
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 7 kills, 16 digs (tied career high), 2 aces
- Sophomore Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 4 kills, 1 block
- First-year London Starley (Sandy, Ore./Sandy), 15 assists, 4 digs, 2 aces
- Senior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 11 digs
- Senior Anna Lonczak (Pine Plains, N.Y./Stissing Mountain), 5 digs, 2 aces
- First-year Maddie Van Winkle (Medford, Mass./Arlington Catholic), 4 digs
- Junior Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 7 assists
- Sophomore Sandra Yang, 12 kills
- First-year Brielle Jones, 9 kills,8 digs
- Junior Mackenzie Byrne, 7 kills, .538 hitting
- Senior Tatjana Calimpong-Burke, 5 kills, 7 digs, 3 aces, 3 blocks
- Senior Samantha Nidini, 27 assists, 7 digs, 2 aces
- Senior Danielle Vaiano, 17 digs, 4 assists, 2 aces
- The Purple Knights celebrated Senior Day, honoring their three seniors - Barton, Lonczak and Statile - following their final college match.
- Scott finished as the team leader in kills (125), digs (181) and aces (19) this season. Natalie Moore '17 had been the last first-year to lead the squad in digs, with 416 in 2013, while Lindsey Frazier '11 was the most recent first-year to top the team in kills, with 280 in 2007.
- Two aces by Calimpong-Burke keyed a 6-0 run that gave the Setters a 7-1 lead in the opening set, and the visitors led 9-2 before Fornabia posted a kill and Lonczak dropped consecutive aces to cut the deficit to four. Jones notched three kills in a 9-1 response, making it 18-6, and Pace led 22-8 after senior Natalia Quiñones' kill. Saint Michael's collected eight of the next 10 points, with Starley netting two aces and Scott one of her own, and junior Molly Clarke's (Barkhamsted, Conn./Northwest Catholic) kill produced a 24-16 margin. The final point went to Pace on senior Jamie Soldinger's kill.
- Scott opened the second set with a kill before Yang had two kills and Nidini two aces during a 6-0 counter. Statile registered a kill while Scott collected an ace during a tying 5-0 run, but Pace slowly pushed out to a 13-7 lead behind a 7-1 run. The Purple Knights rallied to within four points on two occasions, including Scott's kill making it 16-12, before nine of the final 12 points went to the Setters.
- Saint Michael's led 6-4 in set No. 3 before a 5-0 Pace run - which included the fifth tie of the set - provided the visitors with a three-point lead. The Purple Knights rallied to within one point four times before Soldinger's kill capped a 6-2 run and put Pace into a 24-19 lead with match point looming. Fornabia and junior Jillian Harvie (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) both produced a kill and a block in a 4-0 response that cut the deficit to one point, but Pace called a timeout and Yang notched a kill for the next point.