DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team opposed Mercy (N.Y.) College for the first time in 12 years on Tuesday, losing a 3-0 (25-15, 26-24, 25-17) decision in the Victory Hall Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (1-9), Mercy (6-9)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 11 kills, 0 errors, .524 hitting, 7 digs
- First-year London Starley (Sandy, Ore./Sandy), 16 assists in 2 sets
- Sophomore Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 6 kills, 1 ace
- Junior Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 6 digs, 2 blocks
- Senior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 5 digs
- Sophomore Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 2 aces
- Senior Imani DeBose, 14 kills
- Sophomore Loreto Nunez Casal, 9 kills
- First-year Stéphanie Lankhorst, 8 aces
- Junior Natalia Garcia, 6 kills, .556 hitting, 26 assists, 2 aces
- Sophomore Selma Vulic, 6 kills, 2 aces, 13 digs
- The Purple Knights' six attack errors were their fewest since last Oct. 27 against American International College.
- Saint Michael's hit .444 in the second set, its best showing since the third set on Sept. 10, 2016, versus Dominican (N.Y.) College.
- The teams met for only the third time, with the prior two meetings, in 1996 and 2007, taking place during in-season tournaments at neutral sites.
- The Purple Knights led the opening set 4-3 on a service error before seven of the next points went to the Mavericks, including three on aces. Scott's kill trimmed the deficit to 10-8, but the hosts later went on a 7-1 run and never again led by fewer than seven points.
- Four straight Lankhorst aces provided Mercy a 7-3 lead in set No. 2, and the Mavericks were still up 13-7 on a DeBose kill before Starley had two assists and an ace during a 5-0 response. DeBose posted two kills during a 4-0 run that gave the hosts a 17-12 lead, which later stood at 24-19 at set point. Scott dropped back-to-back kills before Fornabia had one of her own, and consecutive attack errors by Mercy left the teams tied at 24. However, a DeBose kill broke the deadlock before a Purple Knight error capped the set.
- DeBose notched two kills to spark the Mavericks' 4-0 start to the third set, and the visitors later trailed only 12-8 on a Scott kill. Cruz's ace kept the Purple and Gold within 19-14, and Fornabia's kill made it 21-16 before Mercy ended the match on a 4-1 run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday at Bentley University, 1 p.m.