COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team played three close sets with Assumption College on Saturday before losing a 3-0 (25-22, 25-20, 25-21) decision in Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (1-8, 0-2 NE10), Assumption (3-9, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 12 kills, 10 digs
- Junior Jillian Harvie (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 9 kills
- Junior Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 30 assists, 12 digs, 2 blocks
- Senior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 5 assists, 11 digs
- Senior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 7 kills, 3 blocks
- Sophomore Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 3 kills, 3 blocks
- Junior Ariana Orcera, 10 kills, 2 aces, 11 digs, 2 blocks
- Sophomore Alana Hruska, 11 kills, 5 blocks
- Senior Tess Haller, 8 kills, .444 hitting, 3 blocks
- First-year Kyra Belden, 19 assists, 7 digs
- First-year Danielle Zarcone, 18 assists
- Sophomore Alexandra Krawczyk, 14 digs
- With 55 digs, Saint Michael's came within one of the season high it set last match. The Purple Knights' six total blocks were a season best.
- The Purple Knights are not home for another three weeks, playing only one time at home in October.
- Saint Michael's opened the match on a 5-0 run behind the service of Konow, who dropped an ace in that time. Fornabia's kill later made it 8-1, and an Assumption service error put the Purple Knights into a 12-5 lead. The next seven points came from the Greyhounds, thanks in part to three Hruska kills. Three one-point advantages for the hosts were later wiped out by a 3-0 run that put the visitors up 17-15 on Haller's block. Scott's kill produced a 19-19 score, and a go-ahead 4-1 run by Assumption was later met by consecutive Purple Knight points, making it only 23-22 in favor of the visitors. Sophomore Jill Orosz and Belden then closed out the opening set with back-to-back kills.
- Scott's ace triggered a 5-2 start for Saint Michael's in set No. 2 en route to an 8-3 lead on Fornabia's kill. First-year Brigid Heinrich's (Syracuse, N.Y./Westhill) kill kept the hosts up 16-12, but Hruska had two blocks in a 5-0 counter. After Harvie's kill knotted the teams at 18, Assumption scored seven of the final nine points.
- Neither team led by more than three points in the third set until Scott's consecutive kills sparked a 5-0 run that netted Saint Michael's a 17-10 lead, and the hosts were still up 20-16 on Harvie's kill. However, Assumption ended the match on a 9-1 run, part of a concluding 15-4 jaunt.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Tuesday at Mercy (N.Y.) College, 7 p.m.