COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team opened its 2019 home slate on Tuesday evening against Middlebury College with a 3-0 (25-11, 25-8, 25-9) loss in the Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (0-3), Middlebury (3-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 5 kills, 3 digs
- First-year London Starley (Sandy, Ore./Sandy), 2 kills, 7 assists, 4 digs
- Junior Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 2 assists, 7 digs
- Junior Jillian Harvie (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 2 kills, 1 assist, 1 dig
- Junior Molly Clarke (Barkhamsted, Conn./Northwestern Regional), 2 kills
- Sophomore Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 1 assist, 1 ace, 2 digs
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 1 ace, 1 dig, 1 block
- Sophomore Maggie Wise, 13 kills, .522 hitting
- Sophomore Jane Nelson, 8 kills, .727 hitting
- Sophomore Corley Doyle, 5 kills, .833 hitting
- Junior Emma Walsh, 12 assists
- Junior Shea Golden, 9 digs
- Capper of a season-opening three-match run during which the Purple Knights played one opponent apiece from each of the NCAA's three divisions.
- The Purple Knights trailed by as many as three points early in the first set before rallying to tie at 7-7 on Scott and first-year Caroline Curley's (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) tandem block. The next five points came from Middlebury, and the hosts still only trailed 15-10 on Scott's ace. The Panthers scored the ensuing nine points to pull away.
- With Konow at the service line, Saint Michael's nabbed a 2-0 lead in set No. 2, with Clarke dropping a kill in that time. Gallagher's kill kept it 3-3 before Middlebury scored the next 15 points.
- The visitors scored the first eight points of the third set en route to taking a 12-1 lead. Harvie's second kill in a 7-2 counter brought the hosts within 14-8 before Middlebury ended the match on an 11-1 run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Friday against Kutztown (Pa.) University at 11 a.m. and Salem (W.Va.) University at 3 p.m. during the opening day of the Kutztown Classic