MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team began its 2019 season with a pair losses on Saturday during a tri-match in Southern New Hampshire University's Stan Spirou Field House. The Purple Knights fell to Division I Merrimack College, 3-0 (25-22, 25-13, 25-20), and against the host Penmen, 3-0 (25-9, 25-13, 25-11).
- Saint Michael's (0-2), Merrimack (1-2), Southern New Hampshire (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Sarah Scott (Granby, Mass./MacDuffie School), 9 kills, 6 digs
- Sophomore Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 5 kills, 2 blocks
- Senior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls), 3 kills, 3 aces, 5 digs
- Sophomore Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 2 kills, 2 assists, 2 aces, 3 digs
- Junior Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 9 assists, 5 digs, 3 blocks
- First-year London Starley (Sandy, Ore./Sandy), 6 assists
- Sophomore Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School), 3 assists, 2 aces, 5 digs
- First-year Lily Blodgett, 14 kills, .522 hitting, 7 digs
- Senior Catherine Flaherty, 11 kills
- Senior Rosie Sperduto, 21 assists
- First-year Taelyr Czech, 15 digs
- Beginning of a season-opening three-match run during which the Purple Knights play one opponent apiece from each of the NCAA's three divisions.
- The Purple Knights held advantages in aces (9-8) and blocks (4-2).
- Merrimack pushed to a 7-2 lead in the opening set and continued to lead by no fewer than four points until the Purple Knights tallied a 4-0 run on the strength of two Cruz aces to pull within 12-11. The Warriors extended their advantage back to 18-13, but Saint Michael's used an 8-3 stretch to go ahead 22-21. Konow had three blocks and Barton two aces in the run. However, Merrimack scored the final four points, with Sperduto dropping a kill for the clinching point.
- The teams stood deadlocked at 4-4 in the second set before the Warriors rattled off eight straight points and never again led by fewer than six points.
- Two Fornabia kills made it 7-7 and 8-8 in set No. 3, but Merrimack went on a 10-2 run to lead by eight. The Purple and Gold countered with a 6-1 stretch, with Barton providing a kill and an ace, making it 19-16, but Saint Michael's came no closer.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Barton, 5 kills
- Fornabia, 5 kills
- Scott, 4 kills, 8 digs
- Konow, 11 assists
- Starley, 8 assists
- Cruz, 8 digs
- Senior Irem Bat, 11 kills, .476 hitting, 11 digs, 2 aces
- Senior Jaclyn Maguire, 8 kills, .800 hitting
- Senior Baylee Lippincott, 7 kills, .500 hitting, 5 digs, 4 blocks
- Sophomore Michaela Choate, 7 kills, .583 hitting
- First-year Ainsley Knox, 18 assists
- Sophomore Megan Palmer, 17 assists
- First-year Angela Crosetti, 13 digs
- The Purple Knights played a non-league match against Northeast-10 Conference counterpart Southern New Hampshire. They meet again in NE10 play on Oct. 22 once more in Stan Spirou Field House.
- Scott's kill leveled the first set at 3-3 prior to the Penmen scoring the next nine points to pull away.
- Southern New Hampshire netted the first six points of the second set en route to a 9-1 lead and never again led by fewer than seven points.
- Set No. 3 featured four early ties before the hosts scored 18 of the final 22 points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Tuesday vs. Middlebury College, 7 p.m.