COLCHESTER, Vt. - One season after remaining in contention for its first postseason berth in 20 years, the Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team finds itself returning 12 players - the largest veteran corps in program history - under first-year college head coach Jesse Carpenter this fall. An assistant coach on last year's staff, Carpenter saw the Purple Knights post among their highest kill and block rates in the past two decades.
Head Coach: Jesse Carpenter (1st year as head coach; 5th year with program)
Assistant Coach: Matt Vosburgh (4th year)
2015 Overall Record: 12-12
2015 Northeast-10 Conference Record: 5-9
Newcomers (First-Years): 3 (2)
12 returners are the most in the 38-year history of the program, surpassing last season's record 11 ... in all, 13 players have college experience, including a sophomore transfer ... last fall, Purple Knights remained in contention for their first postseason berth in 20 years until the final weekend of the regular season ... team's per-set averages for kills (11.5), assists (10.7) and blocks (3.0) were each among the program's top three figures over the last two decades ... among historic achievements were Saint Michael's earning its first sweep of Pace University in program history and yielding 48 points to Southern Connecticut State University, the fewest it allowed in an NE-10 match in seven years ... lost to NE-10 power Adelphi University, 3-1, but only after standing tied at 15 in the fourth set. The Panthers went on to win their third NE-10 Championship in five years and advance to their ninth straight NCAA Tournament.
Saint Michael's begins its season this weekend at the four-team Skyhawks Invitational, starting by facing host Stonehill College tonight. Dominican (N.Y.) College and Felician (N.J.) University are the other participants ... the Purple Knights kick off NE-10 play against Merrimack College on Sept. 24, which also marks their home opener ... three of the Purple and Gold's league opponents qualified for the 2015 NCAA Tournament, with the University of New Haven (Oct. 22), Franklin Pierce University (Nov. 1) and Adelphi (Nov. 4) all hosting Saint Michael's over a four-match span during the latter portion of the regular season ... the top eight teams in the final standings qualify for the NE-10 Championship, which begins on Nov. 15.
- Natalia Maccarrone (Hingham, Mass./Notre Dame Academy), defensive specialist | 23 matches | 28 service aces | 186 digs
- Natalie Moore (Burnt Hills, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake), libero/defensive specialist | captain | 2015 NE-10 All-Conference | 24 matches | 36 service aces (team leader) | 544 digs (team leader)
- Megan Mulvaney (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown East), 6-foot outside hitter | captain | 24 matches | 132 kills | .204 hitting percentage | 50 blocks
- Tess Saburn (Basking Ridge, N.J./Mount Saint Mary Academy), outside hitter | 4 matches | 6 kills | 5 digs
- Catie Weller (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown West), setter | 24 matches | 56 kills | 782 assists (team leader) | 187 digs | 20 blocks
- Julia Colasanti (Northville, Mich./Northville), defensive specialist | 24 matches | 12 service aces | 221 digs
- McKenzie McNamara (Pembroke, Mass./Pembroke), 5-foot-10 middle hitter | 23 matches | 78 kills | 32 blocks
- Megan Priester (Dover, N.H./Dover), outside hitter | 24 matches | 203 kills | 24 blocks
- Abby Blanchet (Milford, N.H./Milford), setter | 3 matches | 21 assists
- Kelsey Higgins (Lowell, Mass./Lowell), outside hitter | 3 matches | 3 kills
- Mairin King (Melrose, Mass./Mystic Valley Regional Charter School), 5-foot-9 middle hitter | 8 matches | 19 kills | 8 blocks
- Gabby Ratte (Kula, Hawaii/Seabury Hall/Colby-Sawyer), 5-foot-9 right-side hitter | North Atlantic Conference All-Conference at Colby-Sawyer College | 35 matches | 111 kills | 327 assists | 22 service aces | 196 digs | 25 blocks
- Sarah Rodgers (Cheshire, Conn./Cheshire), setter | 16 matches | 55 assists | 18 service aces | 42 digs