GARDEN CITY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team began a two-match Northeast-10 Conference weekend with a 7-0 loss to regionally-ranked Adelphi University in its season opener on Saturday on the Adelphi Tennis Courts. The match was the Purple Knights' first under new head coach Tom Twitchell. The Panthers were ninth in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (0-1, 0-1 NE10), Adelphi (1-0, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 win
- Sophomore Annie Serkes (Garden City, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy), 1 win
- Purple Knights' first match under head coach Tom Twitchell.
- Serkes secured a victory during her first collegiate match in her hometown.
- The Panthers are ranked ninth in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's began a two-match road weekend, and a season-opening five-match road swing.
- Adelphi nabbed the doubles point by yielding only three games in the top two positions combined.
- At No. 3 doubles, Serkes and Sumner paired for the first time in their careers and collected a 7-5 victory.
- First-year Ava Albis (Hamden, Conn./Hamden) put together the closest set for the Purple Knights during singles play, ultimately losing her college debut by a 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 count at No. 6.
- Sophomore Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) also had a narrow set setback in a 6-0, 6-4 decision from the fourth spot.
- Classmate Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) faced the 20th-ranked player in the latest ITA East Region poll at No. 2 singles.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday at University of New Haven, 12 p.m.