COLCHESTER, Vt. - After losing one close singles match and with two others still in progress when rain arrived, the Saint Michael's College women's tennis team lost an abbreviated 4-1 decision to the University of New Haven during Northeast-10 Conference play on Saturday at the SMC Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (5-8, 3-6 NE10), New Haven (5-2, 4-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 1 win
- Saint Michael's is amid a four-match week and a regular-season-ending six-match homestand.
- New Haven yielded only three games while sweeping the three doubles matches, claiming a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
- After the Chargers won at No. 4 singles to nab a 2-0 advantage, first-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) lost a close opening set in a 6-4, 6-0 loss in the third position.
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) rallied for a third set at No. 1 but suffered a 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 defeat to allow New Haven to clinch the match.
- In the second spot, de Pont earned a 6-3, 7-6 (10-8) victory.
- First-year Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) was in a second-set tiebreaker when her fifth-slot contest was halted at 2-6, 6-6 (4-4).
- Senior Anna Schneider (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook) saw her match in the sixth spot interrupted at 5-7, 5-4.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday vs. regionally-ranked Adelphi University, 12 p.m.
- The Panthers are ranked sixth in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Adelphi won the last three NE10 Championships and qualified for the last three NCAA Tournaments.