CANTON, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team kicked off a two-match road weekend against regionally-ranked foes with a 6-3 loss to Saint Lawrence University on Saturday at the Sammis Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (4-5), Saint Lawrence (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 1 win
- Senior Anna Schneider (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook), 1 win
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 1 win
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake), 1 win
- Saint Lawrence is ranked 18th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III Northeast Region poll.
- Purple Knights began a two-match weekend road swing against regionally-ranked opponents.
- First meeting since Feb. 23, 2014.
- Playing by the old Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rules that count all three doubles matches toward the team scores, the Saints captured two of three doubles matches against the Purple Knights.
- After dueling 8-2 wins, with the hosts triumphant at No. 2 and de Pont/Ramsay countering in the top spot during their first match together since last Oct. 14, Saint Lawrence won 8-4 at No. 3.
- The Saints won the first four singles matches to clinch the victory, with each coming in straight sets. During those contests, de Pont narrowly lost her opening set in a 7-5, 6-1 defeat at No. 2, and sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter) suffered a close opening-set loss before falling 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4.
- Katz improved to 2-0 in the third position, and a team-best 6-3 overall, by claiming a 7-5, 6-3 win to snap the Saints' streak.
- At No. 6, Schneider fought for a 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5) triumph to conclude the match, including rallying from down 5-1 in her second-set tiebreaker to secure the victory.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday at regionally-ranked Le Moyne College, 11 a.m.
- The Dolphins are ninth in the latest ITA Division II East Region poll.