Posted: Sep 23, 2018
COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team capped a two-match home weekend with a 6-1 loss to Merrimack College on Sunday at the SMC Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (3-4, 2-3 NE10), Merrimack (3-2, 3-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 1 win
- Now team-leading 5-2 in singles, including 4-1 during NE10 play
- Second of Purple Knights' two home matches in three days during Alumni and Family Weekend.
- Merrimack yielded only five games while sweeping the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead.
- The Purple Knight tandem of senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter) had the best result, with a 6-3 setback at No. 2.
- The Warriors grabbed a 3-0 edge behind wins in the third and fourth singles slots, which included Wood narrowly losing in her opening set in a 6-4, 6-1 outing at No. 3.
- Ramsay collected the hosts' first point by registering a 6-2, 6-3 triumph in the top position, making it 3-1.
- De Pont lost her first set in a tie-breaker in an eventual 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 loss at No. 2, allowing Merrimack to clinch the match victory.
- Junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) nearly rallied to force a third set at No. 5 but suffered a 6-0, 7-5 defeat.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Wednesday at Bentley University, 3 p.m.