COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team rallied from one point down to take the lead before falling to Saint Anselm College, 4-3, on Friday afternoon in the Tarrant Recreation Center during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (3-3, 2-2 NE10), Saint Anselm (2-3, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 2 wins
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 1 win
- Junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 win
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake), 1 win
- The Purple Knights had their three-match winning streak snapped while seeking their first four-match run since April 2014.
- The last five series meetings had been won by the home team.
- First of Purple Knights' two home matches in three days during Alumni and Family Weekend.
- Saint Anselm took the doubles point after winning two close matches.
- The duo of Ramsay and Sumner registered the most decisive triumph in doubles, claiming a 6-3 decision in the second position to give the Purple Knights an edge.
- In their first match together, de Pont and Katz lost a narrow 7-5 match at No. 1.
- Senior Katie Costa (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior) and first-year Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic), siding for the second time, fell by a 6-4 count in the third spot, allowing Saint Anselm to nab the team doubles point.
- Katz (6-3, 6-0) and Ramsay (6-3, 6-4) won in straight sets at No. 3 and 1 singles, respectively, to put the hosts in front, with Katz victorious in her first collegiate appearance higher than No. 4.
- Sumner lost a close three-set decision, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4, in her first match in the fourth spot this year, leaving the teams tied.
- De Pont followed with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 triumph in the second slot, giving the Purple Knights a 3-2 lead in the match with two singles matches to play.
- Saint Anselm claimed the final two decisions with straight-set victories in the fifth and sixth positions.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday vs. Merrimack College, 12 p.m.