LUDLOW, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team rattled off its third straight win by blanking American International College, 7-0, on Tuesday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ludlow Tennis Club. Eight different Purple Knights earned at least one victory.
- Saint Michael's (3-2, 2-1 NE10), AIC (0-3, 0-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 2 wins
- Sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter), 2 wins
- Senior Katie Costa (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), 1 win
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 1 win
- Junior Autumn Tamlyn (Silver Bay, N.Y./Queensbury), 1 win (first of career)
- First-year Abby Edelmann (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 1 win
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake), 1 win
- First-year Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic), 1 win
- At least eight different Purple Knights picked up a win for the third consecutive match.
- In their first match together, Edelmann and McKenna registered a 6-0 victory at No. 3 doubles.
- De Pont and Wood improved to 3-1 this season by claiming a 6-1 win in the second doubles spot, clinching the Purple Knights the doubles point for the match.
- Ramsay and junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) suffered a narrow 7-5 setback in the first position.
- Five Saint Michael's players won their singles matches in straight sets, as the Purple Knights swept.
- Costa earned a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 5 in her season singles debut, Katz claimed a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4, and Wood triumphed 6-2, 6-0 in the third spot to clinch the team victory for the visitors.
- Tamlyn followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6 for her first collegiate triumph in her singles debut.
- De Pont topped her foe, 6-1, 6-0, in the second spot.
- Ramsay's match was the last to finish, as she held off her opponent by a 6-3, 2-6, 10-4 final at No. 1.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Friday vs. Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.
- First of two home matches in three days during College's Alumni and Family Weekend.