RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team capped a run of three matches in as many days with a 6-1 triumph over Franklin Pierce University on Sunday during Northeast-10 Conference action.
- Saint Michael's (1-2, 1-1 NE10), Franklin Pierce (0-2, 0-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 2 wins
- Junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 2 wins
- Junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham), 2 wins
- Eight different Purple Knights picked up wins.
- Third of three matches in as many days for Saint Michael's, including final two on the road.
- Three Saint Michael's doubles tandems combined to yield only seven games en route to sweeping and earning the doubles point for the match.
- Senior Katie Costa (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior) and first-year Elly McKenna (Lowell, Mass./Lowell Catholic) recorded a 6-1 victory at No. 3 during McKenna's college debut.
- The duos of Ramsay/Sumner and de Pont/sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter) won matching 6-3 decisions in the first and second positions, respectively.
- The Ravens tied the match with a win at No. 3 singles, but Purple Knights claimed the final five contests.
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) rattled off a near-perfect 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 to give her team the lead for good.
- Ramsay and de Pont ground out 6-2, 7-5 and 7-5, 6-3 victories at No. 1 and 2, respectively, with de Pont's win clinching the Saint Michael's triumph.
- Sumner picked up a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 5.
- Senior Anna Schneider (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook) finished play with a 6-2, 6-2 win in the sixth spot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Wednesday vs. the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, 4 p.m.