EASTON, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team played the middle match during a run of three contests in as many days with a 7-0 loss at 42nd-ranked Stonehill College on Saturday at Charles Watts Tennis Courts. The match was the Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.
- Saint Michael's (0-2, 0-1 NE10), Stonehill (1-0, 1-0 NE10)
- The Purple Knights' NE10 opener, and Stonehill's first match of the season.
- Second of three matches in as many days for Saint Michael's, including final two on the road.
- Stonehill is ranked not only 42nd in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) national poll, but fourth in the East Region. The Skyhawks were the 2017 NE10 Championship runner-up last fall before advancing to the second round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament in the spring.
- Stonehill took the doubles point after sweeping the three doubles matches.
- Juniors Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) and Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) trailed the ninth-ranked tandem in the region in the top spot by a 5-0 count before rallying within one game in an eventual 6-4 loss.
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter) trailed only 2-1 at No. 2 during a 6-1 defeat.
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) led her No. 4 singles opponent 4-3 in the opening set before losing a 6-4, 6-0 decision.
- De Pont stood tied at 3-3 in the first set at No. 2 singles, but her opponent pulled away for the 6-3, 6-0 final.
- In the third position, Wood was down only 4-3 in her opening set during an eventual 6-4, 6-2 defeat.
- Ramsay faced the 15th-ranked singles player in the East at No. 1 and won three second-set games in a 6-1, 6-3 loss.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday at Franklin Pierce University, 1 p.m.