SPRINGFIELD, MASS. - The Saint Michael's College women's soccer team fell to American International College, 3-0, on Saturday in a Northeast-10 Conference matchup on Abdow Field.
- Saint Michael's (3-5-1, 0-5-1 NE10), American International (4-4-1, 2-2-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 5 saves in 76:33
- First-year Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 1 save in 13:27 of relief
- Redshirt sophomore Josefine Stendahl, 1 goal
- First-year Nicole Gamberoni, 1 goal
- Redshirt sophomore Makayla Bigard, 1 goal
- Sophomore Shannon Finnegan, 2 assists
- First-year Olivia Sousa, 4 saves
- The Purple Knights held AIC to only one goal in the first 69:40 of play.
- Saint Michael's was only outshot 15-10 and trailed 6-4 on corner kicks.
- The Purple Knights had a free kick in the 31st minute that found first-year Rileigh Cinquegrano (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) on the top of the box, but her shot was blocked.
- In the 43rd minute, Gamberoni shot it from the left side of the box to the bottom right of the net to give her team the lead.
- A corner kick in the 69th minute for the Yellow Jackets found Finnegan, whose shot was going to the lower right side of the net but was saved by Vallatini.
- In the 70th minute, Finnegan sent a corner in that found the foot of Bigard, whose shot hit the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.
- In the 81st minute, Stendahl scored a goal off a pass by junior Beatriz Correia for the final goal of the game.
- Just one minute after the goal, junior Tess McCabe (Cataumet, Mass./Bourne) shot the ball off a corner kick, but the shot was blocked for another corner. The second corner found senior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), whose shot went high.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. No. 10 The College of Saint Rose, 3 p.m.
- Saint Rose is ranked 10th in the country and first in the East Region by the United Soccer Coaches.
- The Golden Knights qualified for 14 of the last 17 NCAA Tournaments.