MANCHESTER, N.H. - First-year Izzy Ruprecht's (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional) second-half goal leveled the score on Wednesday as the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team played to a 1-1 stalemate at regionally-ranked Saint Anselm College on Melucci Field during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Hawks are ninth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-4-1, 0-4-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (4-1-4, 1-1-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 1 assist
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 save in 45 minutes
- First-year Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 2 saves in 65 minutes of relief
- Senior Cary Farina, 1 goal
- Junior Payton Wildrick, 5 saves
- Saint Anselm is the ninth-ranked team in this week's United Soccer Coaches' East Region poll.
- Five of the Purple Knights' eight contests have been decided by one goal or less.
- Two of the teams' last three meetings have ended in ties, with all three games being determined by one goal or less.
- Five of the Hawks' nine games have advanced to overtime.
- Both teams fired 14 shots, while Saint Michael's held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Today's contest marked the beginning of a challenging stretch for the Purple Knights, as this was the first of four opponents during a six-game stretch that are regionally ranked by the United Soccer Coaches. The final game of that run is against the University of Maine at Fort Kent, which is second in this week's United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division I national poll.
- Vallatini denied junior Erin Paquette's shot in the 15th minute before first-year Julia Rosano (Framingham, Mass./Framingham) had a bid stopped by Wildrick in the 20th.
- Sophomore Travis Pratt hit the crossbar less than a minute later.
- Wildrick made saves on attempts by first-year Grace Rava (Wilton, Conn./Wilton) and Rosano a little more than a minute apart during the 26th and 27th minutes.
- Farina put the Hawks on the board during the 44th minute, tallying an unassisted marker.
- Ricigliano's blast from 25 yards away during the 51st minute was turned away.
- In the 54th minute, Ricigliano tapped a pass from inside the box out top, and Ruprecht slid a shot from 25 yards out into the back left corner for her first collegiate goal.
- A Saint Anselm corner kick drifted off the far post in the 59th minute, and a follow-up bid was blocked.
- Escobedo slid through the box to catch sophomore Phoebe Alex's shot with two Hawks crashing the goal mouth behind her.
- Saint Anselm had a goal disallowed in the 80th minute due to an offside call.
- The Hawks earned a throw-in in the Purple Knight end with 30 seconds remaining in regulation, with the toss bouncing through the box before Escobedo covered under pressure from a Hawk near the right post.
- With a little less than two minutes left in the first overtime, Farina's bid from the middle of the box was blocked wide by junior back Mackenzie Day (Hollis, N.H./Hollis-Brookline) for a 99th-minute corner kick, with the ensuing play blown dead due to a Hawk foul.
- Escobedo dove to stop another Farina try at the left post during the 102nd minute before sophomore back Brooke Caragher (Milton, Vt./Milton) knocked away another Farina possession in the box during the 105th minute following a long one-on-one play after a breakout pass from a Saint Anselm player.
- With a little less than 20 seconds to go, junior Victoria Zambello (Sharon, Mass./Sharon) fired a shot from 30 yards wide left of the frame for the final opportunity for either team.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at American International College, 12 p.m.