MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's soccer team was within one goal of the 22nd-ranked team in the nation until the 76th minute on Wednesday evening before losing to Southern New Hampshire University, 2-0, in Penmen Stadium during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Penmen's national ranking is according to the United Soccer Coaches, which also has them slotted third in the East Region.
- Saint Michael's (2-2, 0-2 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (3-1, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 4 saves in 45 minutes
- First-year Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 7 saves (career high) in 45 minutes of relief
- Junior Allyson Patterson, 1 goal
- Sophomore Dorthea Glorud, 1 goal
- Sophomore Hannah Rose, 1 save
- Southern New Hampshire is 22nd in this week's United Soccer Coaches national poll and third in the East Region rankings.
- The Penmen qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- In their last two games, the Purple Knights have yielded only three total goals to teams among the top six in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- During a scoreless game, first-year Maggie Varley (Islip, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan) sent a low ball through the air in the 13th minute that narrowly missed the head of senior Madeleine Morse (Brownsville, Vt./Windsor) near the top of the box and went through to Rose for a save.
- First-year Morgan Siechen drilled a shot from 30 yards out during the 20th minute that sent Vallatini airborne to bat it away at the center of the net with her left hand. On an ensuing corner kick, the netminder covered a low shot near the right post.
- Patterson struck for the game-winner at 35:15, taking a giveaway at the top of the Purple Knight 18 and drilling a shot beyond a diving Vallatini into the upper left corner.
- Glorud nearly doubled the lead in the 50th minute but headed a corner kick cross off the crossbar, and junior Melanie Roberge (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy) proceeded to head the ball out of the box from danger.
- First-year Rileigh Cinquegrano (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) cut from the left sideline and past a defender into the box during the 51st minute and had a good look at goal but sent a shot just wide of the close post.
- During the 65th minute, Escobedo dove to deflect away sophomore Sydney Carney's tough-angle shot, which rebounded to senior Emily Roan, whose follow-up bid from the middle of the box was blocked by sophomore back Brooke Caragher (Milton, Vt./Milton).
- Glorud doubled the lead in the 76th minute, taking Roan's centering pass outside the top of the box, splitting two Purple Knight defenders, and slipped a shot into the lower left corner.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 12 p.m.