BLOOMFIELD, N.J. - Junior Melanie Roberge (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy) struck for the game's only goal in the 88th minute to lift the Saint Michael's College women's soccer team over Bloomfield College, 1-0, in its season opener on Saturday at Foley Field.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Bloomfield (0-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Melanie Roberge (Chester, N.H./Pinkerton Academy), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 1 assist
- Junior Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 save in 45 minutes
- First-year Katie Escobedo (New Rochelle, N.Y./Maria Regina), 2 saves in 45 minutes of relief (1st career win)
- First-year Alexis Schmidt, 15 saves
- First of Purple Knights' two weekend road games to open season.
- Saint Michael's improved to 4-0 all-time against Bloomfield, pushing its scoring advantage to 22-0.
- The teams' first meeting since 2007, and first ever on Bloomfield's campus.
- The Purple and Gold held advantages in shots (25-4) and corner kicks (10-1).
- The Purple Knights strung together a couple solid scoring opportunities during the first half. Junior Tess McCabe (Cataumet, Mass./Bourne) was turned away by Schmidt in the 19th minute, leading to a corner kick, but senior Sarah Donnelly's (Busan, South Korea/Mount Vernon) ensuing try was high.
- During the 21st minute, McCabe headed a corner kick service from first-year Izzy Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional) high of the target.
- In the 49th minute, junior Emily Quiroz sent a free kick from 30 yards toward the upper left corner, but Escobedo jumped to stop the shot.
- During the 88th minute, Ricigliano was brought down in the box for a penalty and stepped up to take the ensuing kick. Schmidt made a diving stop to deny the bid, but Roberge crashed the right side of the box to knock the rebound into the left side of the net.
- Shortly thereafter, Bloomfield earned a corner kick, which senior Helene Salerno crossed into the box, but Escobedo picked the pass off the head of a Bear standing out front while being credited with the save.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. Lincoln (Pa.) University, 12 p.m.