NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's soccer team opened its Northeast-10 Conference slate with a 3-1 loss to Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday at Jess Dow Field.
- Saint Michael's (1-2, 0-1 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (2-2, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet), 1 goal
- Sophomore Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), career-high 6 saves in 76:04
- Senior Megan LeCours (Barre, Vt./Spaulding), 0 saves in 13:56 of relief
- Junior Johanna Wahlen, 1 goal
- Sophomore Meaghan Kelley, 1 goal
- First-year Kelsey Burr, 1 goal
- First-year Tamra Zippin, 1 save in 45 minutes
- First-year Abigail Allen, 0 saves in 45 minutes of relief for the win
- Both teams began their NE10 schedules.
- While the Owls are a .500 team, both losses came to squads ranked in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll, with one also nationally ranked.
- Just 3:27 into the contest, Ricigliano picked off an Owl pass and went alone on Zippin to record her team-high-tying and career-high third goal of the year.
- Burr tied the game on a 21st-minute penalty kick.
- Kelley netted the winning goal at 67:22 by one-touching home junior Kelly Lamb's cross from the right side.
- A Purple Knight rung the post on an 81st-minute free kick, narrowly missing knotting the game.
- Wahlen iced the victory by slipping a shot into the bottom right corner in the 87th minute.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at University of New Haven, 7 p.m.