COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's lacrosse team scored eight straight goals to break a halftime tie and grab an 13-6 victory over Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College during Friday afternoon's non-conference contest at Duffy Field. Senior Alex Vincent (Rush, N.Y./Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women) tallied a hat trick and an assist to become just the 17th Purple Knight to reach the 100-point plateau, while interim head coach Courtney Barrett notched her first win as a college head coach.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Saint Thomas Aquinas (1-3)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Kate Martin (Mattapoisett, Mass./Bishop Stang), 2 goals, 3 assists, 3 ground balls, 5 draw controls
- Senior Alex Vincent (Rush, N.Y./Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women), 3 goals, 1 assist
- Sophomore Kaitlyn Waystack (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 3 goals, 4 ground balls
- Junior Kaelyn Oliver (Canton, Conn./Canton), 3 goals
- First-year Kelsey Bush (North Conway, N.H./Kennett), 1 goal, 2 ground balls
- First-year Kit Geary (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport), 1 goal
- Senior Annie Martin (Mattapoisett, Mass./Bishop Stang), 5 draw controls
- Sophomore Emma Coleman (Scarsdale, N.Y./Scarsdale), 2 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Katrina Pietz (Brentwood, N.H./Exeter), 3 draw controls
- Sophomore Steph Brunelle (Wolfeboro, N.H./Brewster Academy), 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Victoria Putnam (East Falmouth, Mass./Saint Mark's School), 2 saves in 44:35
- Sophomore Lucy Chin (Lexington, Mass./Lexington), 2 saves in 15:25 of relief
- Redshirt sophomore Kaitlyn Gutenberger, 2 goals, 1 assist
- First-year Leanna Iobbi, 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 ground balls, 2 draw controls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Gabrielle Di Fusco, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Emily Glennon, 1 goal, 2 ground balls
- Sophomore Danielle Cajou, 1 goal
- Junior Laura Delorenzo, 12 saves, 3 ground balls
- Season opener for the Purple Knights.
- First ever matchup between the two teams.
- Interim head coach Courtney Barrett registered her first win as a college head coach.
- With four points Vincent pushed her career total to 103, becoming just the 17th Purple Knight to reach the 100-point plateau.
- With five draw controls Annie Martin upped her career total to 98, passing Lauren Rizzotti '09 (97) for sixth in program history, while tying Brynne Curran '08 for fifth.
- First win in a home opener since 2016 when the Purple Knights defeated Merrimack College, 8-7.
- This is the Purple Knights' third win in their last four games dating back to last season.
- This was Vincent's 14th career hat trick, Oliver's third, and Waystack's second.
- The Purple Knights held a 16-5 advantage in draw controls and a 37-19 lead in shots.
- Saint Michael's scored the game's first goal at 27:58 in the first half after Vincent buried her first goal.
- The Spartans tied the score at 1-1 at 20:04 after Gutenberger netted on a feed from Di Fusco. The Purple Knights then regained the lead at 15:35 as Geary notched her first career goal on a free-position shot before Cajou retied the game at 12:57.
- The teams traded goals again as Vincent marked her second score at 3:36 before Gutenberger answered with her second at 1:05 to knot the game at 3-3 right before the end of the half.
- The Purple Knights scored eight straight goals in the first 14:35 of the second half with Kate Martin kicking the run off with a goal at 28:59 before Waystack scored back-to-back goals at 25:39 and 24:25. Bush followed with her first career goal at 23:24 before Waystack potted her hat-trick goal at 21:29 to put the Purple Knights up 8-3.
- Oliver buried her second at 18:52 off a pass from Kate Martin, who then followed with her second at 17:47. Oliver then rifled in a woman-up goal at 15:25 off a feed from Vincent to make it 11-3.
- Glennon put away the Spartans first goal of the frame at 14:02, while Di Fusco made it 11-5 at 11:57.
- Oliver snuck in her hat-trick goal at 3:23 off another Kate Martin find, while Vincent added her third goal at 2:07 to put the Purple Knights up 13-5. Iobbi scored the game's final goal at 1:48.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. No. 2 Adelphi University, 3:30 p.m.
- Adelphi is ranked second in the nation by the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA).