SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to defending New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) Championship titlist Saint Anselm College, 6-0, on Friday night at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (2-5, 2-5 NEWHA), Saint Anselm (7-3, 6-3 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 14-for-24 on faceoffs
- Junior Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 7-for-13 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 8-for-15 on faceoffs, 3 blocks
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 43 saves
- Senior Torrie Gray (Plymouth, Mass./Plymouth North), 3 blocks
- Senior Kaley Campbell, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Junior Katy Meehan, 2 goals
- Senior Megan Klaus, 1 goal
- Sophomore Erin Meyers, 1 goal
- Junior Kia Castonguay, 16 saves
- The Purple Knights held the advantage on faceoffs, 32-27.
- One minute into the first period, Simons came out of her net to make a save on an early chance by the Hawks.
- Saint Anselm took the lead 11:15 into the first period, as a power-play shot at the point by senior Jamie Gottwald was blocked in front of the net by first-year Kenadie Cooper, who then passed to the left side for a Meehan goal.
- The Hawks scored a second power-play goal on a shot by Campbell that was tipped to the top right corner by Klaus 15:55 into the first period.
- Saint Anselm extended its lead with 23 seconds remaining in the first period when a pass was intercepted in the Purple Knight defensive zone by junior Jayden Young, whose shot was saved, but Meehan was there to put home the rebound.
- The Hawks scored again 43 seconds into the second period on a no-look pass by senior Amanda Conger on the left side of the ice to Campbell in front of the net for a one-time goal.
- Junior Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic) had a chance 8:15 into the second period when she brought the puck up the right side of the ice and shot, but Castonguay was there for the save.
- Saint Anselm scored 13:34 into the third period on a two-on-one that ended with a goal by Campbell.
- Meyers scored the last goal for the Hawks 39 seconds later when she shot in her own rebound past Simons.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Saint Anselm, 1 p.m.