SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team opened a two-game weekend series with a 5-2 loss to varsity newcomer Long Island University on Friday during New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) play at Cairns Arena. The teams face off again on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Saint Michael's (1-2, 1-2 NEWHA), LIU (1-6, 1-0 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Maeghan Kennard (Hamlin, N.Y./Niagara Jr. Purple Eagles), 1 goal (1st career), 14-for-26 faceoffs
- Senior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 2 assists
- Junior Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 5 blocks
- Junior Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 12-for-27 faceoffs
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 26 saves
- First-year Matilda af Bjur, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Paula Bergström, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Alva Johnsson, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Elissa Taylor, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Carrigan Umpherville, 1 goal, 2 assists
- First-year Kenzie Harmison, 23 saves
- The teams met for the first time, with LIU in its first season of varsity play, and opened a two-game weekend series.
- Purple Knight skaters blocked 23 shots.
- LIU held a 31-25 advantage in shots despite the Purple Knights nabbing an 11-5 edge in the third period.
- LIU scored twice in the opening 5:12, with af Bjur backhanding home a rebound of her initial shot during a power play at 2:17 of the first period before being denied by Simons a few minutes later but Umpherville sending home the rebound.
- Just four seconds after a 5-on-3 power play became a single-woman advantage, Monbouquette halved the deficit at 10:51, knocking home a shot from the mid-slot after senior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) tossed in a pass from the right circle. Boscia also assisted.
- Monbouquette had a tying bid from the left circle denied by Harmison's glove save at 14:56, and Simons kept it a one-goal game by stopping af Bjur's one-timer from the slot with 44 seconds to go.
- LIU scored twice in a 4:10 span early in the second period to add to its lead. Bergström put home a rebound from the low left circle at 3:17 before Taylor followed her own shot and tallied on a second effort in the left circle with 7:27 gone.
- Harmison made another glove stop at 11:31, robbing Ferrari's one-timer from the low slot, but Kennard cashed in at the 15:18 mark on another power play, slipping in a shot from up close. Boscia and Monbouquette assisted.
- Simons came up with a right pad save of Taylor less than two minutes later before Johnsson produced the final goal of the game at 17:08, sending home a rebound from the lower left circle.
- First-year Ella Saracco (Melrose, Mass./Middlesex Islanders) had the best scoring opportunity for either team in the third period, scooting into the LIU zone on a breakaway before moving to her backhand out front and being turned away by Harmison at 5:40, only to pick up the rebound and have another backhanded try stopped.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. LIU, 1 p.m.