SHELTON, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team opened its season with a 2-1 victory over Post University on Friday afternoon during New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) play at the Sports Center of Connecticut. The teams complete their weekend series on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
- Saint Michael's (1-0, 1-0 NEWHA), Post (0-5, 0-5 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 1 goal
- Junior Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 goal
- Senior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 39 saves
- First-year Catherine Proulx, 1 goal
- First-year Madison Turley, 18-for-23 faceoffs
- Senior Jenna Baumgartner, 40 saves
- The Purple Knights outshot the Eagles, 42-40.
- Saint Michael's moved to 9-1 in the all-time series, including 5-0 on the road.
- Both teams killed one penalty in the opening 15 minutes of the first period.
- Shortly thereafter, sophomore Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley) fired a shot from the left point that was saved, but the puck slid just behind the net, where junior Lizzie Blanchard (New Bedford, Mass./New Bedford) battled Baumgartner for the loose puck, with Blanchard ultimately slipping a pass toward the left side of the crease for Nichols, who finished on an open net at 15:14.
- Boscia nearly doubled the lead but rung the post with 21 seconds to go.
- Late in the second period, Saint Michael's put together a strong showing during a power play that saw Baumgartner make four saves and another three shots blocked by Eagle skaters, as the visitors were held off the board. As the teams returned to even strength, senior Kendall Fitzgerald chipped a clear from her own right circle off the boards and behind the Purple Knight defense for Proulx, who had just jumped on the ice at the end of the power play. Proulx went in alone on Simons, finishing blocker side at 18:40.
- Boscia found the game-winner just 1:32 into the third period during a power play. After junior Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic) poked a loose puck in neutral ice toward the Saint Michael's zone, Boscia carried from just outside her own blue line and up the left boards before firing a low shot from the left circle that trickled past Baumgartner.
- Post earned a power play of its own with 54 seconds left in regulation before pulling its goalie to go 6-on-4 for the final 23 seconds. First-year Sadie Storm had a clean look from the right circle at 19:42 that Simons denied with a glove save, and classmate Mia Landry followed with a soft shot from the blue line with seven seconds left and Nichols closely defending her that Simons saved with her paddle. Junior Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards) won the ensuing faceoff at the blue line, and classmate Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks) carried out of the zone as the buzzer sounded.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Post, 2:30 p.m.