SHELTON, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team dropped a 4-0 decision to Sacred Heart University in both teams' regular-season finale during Saturday evening's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at the Sports Center of Connecticut.
- Saint Michael's (6-16-1, 4-11-1 NEWHA), Sacred Heart (20-7-4, 9-4-3 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial Prep), 25 saves
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 6 blocks, 7-for-15 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 7-for-11 on faceoffs
- Senior Katie Stueve, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Jayne Lewis, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Haley Payne, 1 goal
- Junior Maddie Bishop, 1 goal
- Senior Sarah Erban, 23 saves
- Second game of a two-game regular-season-ending road weekend series.
- This was the fourth straight game the Purple Knights have played at the Sports Center of Connecticut after two wins against Post University last weekend.
- The Pioneers held a 29-23 advantage in shots on goal and a 31-21 lead in faceoffs.
- The Purple Knights held Sacred Heart under its season average of 40.5 shots.
- The Purple Knights will host Post on Tuesday in the first round of the NEWHA Tournament.
- After a scoreless first frame, during which the Purple Knights held a 10-9 advantage in shots, the Pioneers broke the stalemate at 6:18 in the second period as Stueve notched a goal off a feed from first-year Samantha Shoebottom.
- Talcott made 10 saves in the second period, including eight after the Sacred Heart goal and four on the penalty kill to keep the Purple and Gold within one.
- The Pioneers made it 2-0 at 8:41 in the third period as Lewis potted a shorthanded goal off a pass from Stueve.
- Bishop added another goal at 11:40, netting an unassisted marker to put Sacred Heart up 3-0.
- After hitting the post 34 seconds into the game and at the 6:31 mark in the second period, Payne found the back of the net at 17:15 for the Pioneers' fourth and final goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Post, 7:10 p.m.
- This will be the first round of the NEWHA Tournament.