SHELTON, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to Sacred Heart University, 4-1, during Friday afternoon's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at the Sports Center of Connecticut.
- Saint Michael's (6-15-1, 4-10-1 NEWHA), Sacred Heart (19-7-4, 8-4-3 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 1 goal, 11-for-25 on faceoffs
- Junior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 assist
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 assist
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 29 saves
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Kitchener, Ontario/Wellesley), 7-for-13 on faceoffs
- Junior Maddie Bishop, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Victoria Grimmer, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Lilly Cleary, 1 goal
- Senior Haley Payne, 1 goal
- Senior Sarah Erban, 9 saves
- The teams were tied at 1-1 until 6:35 in the third period before the Pioneers pulled away with two goals in the final 7:39.
- First game of a two-game road weekend series and the second-to-last regular-season game for the Purple Knights
- This was the third straight game that the Purple Knights had played at the Sports Center of Connecticut after two wins there against Post University last weekend.
- The Pioneers were averaging 40.8 shots coming into this afternoon's game before the Purple Knights held them to 33.
- Sacred Heart held a slight 28-24 advantage on faceoffs.
- The Purple Knights tallied the first goal of the game at the 8:39 mark in the first period when Ferrari buried off of a touch from Gervais, who had grabbed the rebound from Monbouquette's initial shot, which was saved.
- The Pioneers answered back on the power play at 14:54 when Payne netted a goal off of a feed from Bishop.
- Simons made 12 second-period saves, including four in the first 4:28 to keep the score tied as neither team scored in the frame.
- The Pioneers potted the go-ahead goal at 6:35 in the third period as Grimmer found the back of the net.
- Bishop added an insurance goal at 12:21 off a pass from Grimmer to make it 3-1 before Cleary tacked on another at 15:39 for the game's final goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Sacred Heart, 5:30 p.m.