SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to the University of Southern Maine, 4-1, in its opening game of the 14th Annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic on Friday at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (3-8), University of Southern Maine (4-5-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 goal
- Sophomore Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Boston, Mass./Wellesley), 1 assist
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 9-for-14 on faceoffs
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 23 saves
- Junior Jill Hannigan, 2 goals
- Sophomore Rylie Binette, 2 goals
- Sophomore Shannon Colbert, 2 assists, 3 blocks
- First-year Shannon Douglas, 2 assists
- Junior Whitney Padgett, 35 saves
- This was the Purple Knights' first game since playing the University of New England on Dec. 1.
- Second game in the opening day of the 14th Annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic. Hamilton College defeated the State University of New York at Buffalo State, 7-2, in the first game of the tournament.
- Madison Nichols has now scored six goals in the Purple Knights' last seven games, tallying in five of the seven contests.
- The Huskies took an early lead when Hannigan shuffled in a rebound off of Colbert's initial shot with 1:21 gone in the first period to make it 1-0.
- Hannigan tallied her second goal of the evening at the 3:14 mark in the second period, again burying a rebound off of Colbert's shot.
- The Huskies extended their lead to 3-0 at 11:53 when Binette deflected senior Jensen Hamblett's wrist shot out of the air and past Simons.
- Southern Maine added its final goal 39 seconds into the third period when Binette tossed a puck from behind the blue line on net that slipped under the pads of Simons.
- The Purple Knights broke through on a power play at 8:19 when Madison Nichols buried a shot from the left circle off a rebound from Riley Nichols' initial shot for the final goal of the game.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. SUNY Buffalo State, 4 p.m.
- The contest will be the final game of the 14th Annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic.