BIDDEFORD, Maine - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team dropped an 8-1 decision to the University of New England in its final game of the first semester during Saturday's non-conference contest at the Harold Alfond Forum.
- Saint Michael's (3-7), University of New England (9-1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 goal
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 1 assist
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 10-for-22 on faceoffs
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 5 saves in 17:03
- Sophomore Alyssa Cimino (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley), 23 saves (career high) in 42:57 of relief
- Senior Julianne Sheehan, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Sophomore Kyra Yu, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Kenady Nevicosi, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior MaryKate Drinkwater, 1 goal
- Junior Tatum Gietl, 1 goal
- Sophomore Shannon Upton, 1 goal
- First-year Bella Crugnale, 1 goal
- Senior Annie Rademacher, 21 saves in 52:22
- Junior Chelsey Caron, 0 saves in 7:38 of relief
- Final game of the first semester for the Purple Knights
- Lanci's third goal of the season
- Cimino's first career 20-save game
- The Nor'easters came into the game just two wins short of the NCAA Division III lead in wins.
- The Nor'easters tallied first off of a penalty kill when Sheehan poked away a Purple Knight pass in the hosts' defensive zone, skated the length of the ice and deked around Simons for a breakaway, shorthanded goal at the 2:51 mark of the opening period.
- The Purple Knights responded with a shorthanded goal of their own with 7:19 gone when Lanci picked up Kelly's attempted clear in the Purple Knights' defensive zone and went on a breakaway, burying the puck in the lower left corner past Rademacher.
- The Nor'easters netted their second goal on a power play at 8:45 as Yu buried a one-timer from the slot off a pass from Nevicosi.
- With 12:22 gone, Drinkwater scored her team's second power-play tally, following her initial shot from the right goal line and stuffing the puck underneath Simons to make it 3-1.
- At 16:20, senior Alex Mitchell threw a pass across the left circle to Crugnale in front of the net for the Nor'easters' fourth goal. Upton added a goal 43 seconds later after deflecting sophomore Jessica Tolzman's shot from the point into the air and over Simons.
- Sheehan scored her second goal with 8:01 gone in the second period, while Nevicosi added another just 13 seconds later.
- Gietl notched the Nor'easters' eighth and final goal on a power play at 17:42 of the third period.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Jan. 4 vs. the University of Southern Maine, 7 p.m.
- The contest will come during the first day of the Purple Knights' 14th annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic.