SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – Sophomores Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards) and Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy) each netted a pair of goals as the Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team defeated Post University, 5-0, in Saturday's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (1-1, 1-1 NEWHA), Post (1-5, 1-3 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 2 goals, 10-for-18 on faceoffs, +2
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 2 goals, 11-for-22 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 3 assists, +3
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 1 goal, 4 blocked shots
- Senior Christiana Akiki (Allendale, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 assist, +3
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 28 saves (1st career shutout, 1st career game)
- Sophomore Kayleigh Miller, 4 blocks
- First-year Kaitlyn Daly, 35 saves
- Second game in back-to-back contests between the two teams.
- The Purple Knights are now 5-1 all-time against the Eagles.
- Saint Michael's held a 40-28 advantage in shots and was 2-for-4 on the power play.
- With three assists in the third period, Kelly tied the Saint Michael's record for most assists in a period.
- First-year Jenna Harrison's (Boston, Mass./Wellesley) assist was the first of her career, while Simons recorded her first career shutout in her first collegiate appearance in net.
- The first goal of the game came 18:09 into the second period when Ferrari intercepted a defensive clear attempt by the Eagles and backhanded a floater into the left side of the net to put the Purple Knights up 1-0.
- Ferrari notched her second goal 33 seconds into the third period after again stealing a Post defender's pass and sniping it over Daly's shoulder and into the top left corner.
- The Purple Knights struck again 42 seconds later after Akiki sent a pass into the slot for Lanci, who then buried a shot into the top right corner to put Saint Michael's up by three.
- Boscia made it 4-0 8:52 into the third after receiving a pass in the right circle from sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic) and ripping a wrist shot past the glove of Daly for a power-play goal.
- Lanci tallied her second goal on a power play 12:28 into the third, cleaning up a rebound from Harrison and shuffling it past the skate of Daly and into the left corner for the game's final goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at State University of New York at Potsdam, 7 p.m.