Women's ice hockey falls in non-conference contest at nationally-regarded Endicott

Women's ice hockey falls in non-conference contest at nationally-regarded Endicott

BEVERLY, Mass. – The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell in a non-conference road contest against nationally-regarded Endicott College, 4-0, on Saturday at Raymond J. Bourque Arena. With the loss, the Purple Knights drop to 0-10 overall. With the win, the Gulls, who are receiving votes toward the latest U.S. College Hockey Online (USCHO) Division III national poll, improved to 8-0. The game was the first meeting between the two programs, and marked the conclusion of the Purple and Gold's first-semester slate.

Senior Tina Frasca (Norwood, Mass./Tabor Academy) made 41 saves for the Purple Knights, marking her sixth career 40-save effort. For the Gulls, first-year Jillian Gibbs scored twice while classmate Jade Meier scored once and registered two assists. Sophomore Lexi Klein dished out two assists while classmate Dynnea Bezona registered a goal, and first-year Alyssa Peterson made 30 saves on her way to a shutout.

The Gulls opened the scoring 6:51 into the first period, as first-year Michaela McNamara stick handled through defenders before finding Bezona in the slot for a finish past Frasca. Senior Erin Dwyer (Weymouth, Mass./Archbishop Williams) was denied by Peterson on the doorstep on a one-timer attempt at the 9:40 mark. The Purple Knights successfully killed off a penalty, and Frasca ended the period with 19 saves.

The Gulls went up 2-0 at the 8:29 mark of the second period, when Gibbs finished from Meier and sophomore Danielle Comorre. After a back and forth period, the Gulls went on the power play at the 17:46 mark. At the 17:56 mark, Meier finished on a rebound following a shot from Klein. Junior Amanda Donahoe (Wakefield, Mass./Saint Mary's) hit the post on a shot from the right faceoff dot at the 19:00 mark, and the Purple Knights headed into the third period trailing 3-0.

Senior Carolyn Avery (Lexington, Mass./Lexington) hit the post at the 3:10 mark of the third period. At the 4:31 mark, Gibbs finished on a one-timer in the slot following a pass from Meier at the right faceoff dot, giving the Gulls a 4-0 lead. The Purple Knights fired 10 shots in the third, but they could not beat Peterson to cut into the Gulls' lead.

The Purple Knights will enjoy a long break before hosting Plymouth State University on Jan. 6 in the second game of the 12th Annual DoubleTree Ice Hockey Classic at 7 p.m.