COLCHESTER, Vt. - Senior point guard Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) recorded a triple-double by the third quarter to help the Saint Michael's College women's basketball team open the season with an 82-64 victory against Wilmington (Del.) University on Friday during the Delta Hotel Northeast-10 Conference/Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Conference Challenge in the Ross Sports Center.
The College of Saint Rose defeated Caldwell (N.J.) University, 66-56, in the opening contest.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Wilmington (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 12 points, 15 rebounds (career high), 11 assists, 6 offensive rebounds
- Senior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 13 points, 4 blocks, 6-for-11 field goals
- Sophomore Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 13 points (tied career high), 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 6-for-8 field goals
- Junior Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 10 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
- Sophomore Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 10 points, 5 rebounds
- Senior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 7 points, 14 rebounds (tied career high), 4 blocks
- Senior Cassandra Falone (Chatham, N.J./Chatham), 9 points, 4 assists, 2 steals
- Junior Jadyn Whitsitt, 19 points, 3 assists
- Redshirt senior Kasha Andrews, 16 points, 4-for-10 three-pointers
- Junior Tiffany Jackson, 13 points, 7 rebounds
- Purcell is the second Purple Knight in just 18 games to record a triple-double after Emily Ferreri '19 also turned the rare feat last Dec. 16 against Vermont Technical College. Prior to that, no Saint Michael's player had notched a triple-double since Kelly Borch '99 on Jan. 30, 1999.
- Purcell, who completed her triple-double by the third quarter, zoomed past Ferreri (269) on the program's career assists leaderboard, moving out of a tie with Liz Ringrose '87 (268) for 16th to move alone into 15th place (279).
- The Purple and Gold held a 56-42 rebounding advantage, dished off 25 assists on 38 baskets, and blocked 12 shots. The rejection total was good for fourth in program history.
- The teams met for the first time.
- The Purple Knights are hosting their first in-season tournament since 2014-15.
- Saint Michael's is 44-17 all-time when hosting a tournament.
- The teams exchanged the lead four times in the opening 3:28 before Anderson and MacDonough buried threes in an 8-0 run that gave the hosts a 14-8 edge by 4:20 of the first quarter.
- A 5-1 counter by the Wildcats made it 15-13, but Ladas and Miller both netted four points in a 12-3 response that carried into the second quarter, and Saint Michael's led 27-16.
- Behind scoring from four different players, Wilmington later made a 10-0 push to create a 35-32 margin with 13 seconds left in the half. MacDonough proceeded to get fouled while shooting a three with four seconds remaining and buried the first two freebies before missing the third, but Purcell nabbed the board and dished to Breunig for a long jumper from the corner as the buzzer sounded. Saint Michael's led by seven at the half.
- The Wildcats trimmed the deficit back to four points twice in the opening 57 seconds of the third period, but a 22-7 Purple Knight run unfolded over a 5:57 stretch. Ladas had seven points to lead five scorers, and the hosts led 63-44 on Anderson's triple with 2:07 left.
- Saint Michael's never again led by fewer than 16 points, with a 15-5 run being bookended by a Falone trey and jumper that put the hosts up by a game-high 26 (78-52) at 4:39 of the fourth quarter.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Caldwell, 3 p.m.