RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team yielded only one basket in the final 4:26 to fend off Franklin Pierce University's comeback in a 74-70 win on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play at FPU Fieldhouse. The Purple Knights have won five of their last six games.
- Saint Michael's (10-11, 6-10 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-17, 2-14 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 21 points, 5 rebounds, 5-for-7 three-pointers
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 20 points, 6 assists, 4 steals, 5-for-6 field goals, 9-for-12 free throws
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 9 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 8 points, 7 rebounds
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 7 points
- First-year Izzy Lipinski, 25 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists
- Sophomore Sophia Holmes, 19 points
- First-year Rylee Skinner, 7 points, 4 assists
- Saint Michael's has won eight of its last 12, including five of the last six.
- The Purple and Gold forced 18 turnovers while committing only 11. The visitors also shot 10-for-20 from three-point range while going 18-of-25 on free throws to Franklin Pierce's 10-for-15 showing.
- The Purple Knights have now won five of its last six with the Ravens, including moving to 3-3 in the FPU Fieldhouse since starting 1-15 there.
- Purcell now has 252 career assists, becoming the 20th Purple Knight with at least 250 for a career.
- Ferreri passed the 850-point plateau (852) for her career.
- The teams played through five lead changes in the opening 5:30 of the contest, with Anderson's second three-pointer of the game giving Saint Michael's a 12-10 edge at 4:30 and sparking an 8-1 run, pushing the lead to 17-11. Anderson (8) and Purcell (6) combined to score each of the visitors' first 14 points.
- Lipinski's lay-in brought the Ravens within 19-16 at 7:49 of the second, but Ladas responded with a triple 25 seconds later to kick off an 11-4 run. Anderson and Ferreri also hit threes in that time, making it 30-20.
- Still up by 10 (32-22) after first-year Emma MacDonough's (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington) basket at 5:00, Saint Michael's saw Franklin Pierce respond with the next nine points, with Lipinski scoring four before assisting sophomore Freya Cooney's jumper that cut the deficit to one with 1:13 left. Ladas' jumper with nine seconds to go sent the visitors into the locker room with a 34-31 lead.
- The Purple Knights nearly doubled their point total in the third quarter alone, holding a 28-17 scoring advantage thanks to Purcell netting 11 and assisting three other baskets. She played a hand in 19 of the points.
- Anderson scored the final four points of a key 15-2 run that extended the Purple Knight lead from one point to 14 by 4:08. Purcell's buzzer-beating three-pointer had the visitors up 62-48 at the end of the period.
- Franklin Pierce began the fourth quarter on a 16-4 run behind three threes from Holmes, and Lipinski's jumper with 4:27 to go brought the hosts within 66-64.
- Saint Michael's still led by only two before Anderson buried a three with 2:02 remaining to make it 71-66.
- Neither team scored again until first-year Lisa Sulejmani hit two freebies for the Ravens at 51 seconds, but Purcell countered with one of her own to keep it a four-point game at 22 ticks.
- Franklin Pierce waited until seven seconds remained to fire a three-point try, but Miller grabbed the miss, and Ferreri buried two clinching free throws with four seconds left.
- In all, Saint Michael's allowed only five shot attempts in the final 4:26, yielding just one basket.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at regionally-ranked Stonehill College, 5:30 p.m.
- The Skyhawks are sixth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.