COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team went on an 11-0 run in the final 3:17 of the fourth quarter to overcome Adelphi University, 83-81, during Saturday's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (6-10, 2-9 NE10), Adelphi (8-9, 5-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 offensive rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 8-of-13 shooting
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 16 points, 6 assists, 4 steals
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 13 points, 12 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 13 points, 2 steals
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 offensive rebounds, 2-of-2 three-pointers in 9 minutes
- Redshirt junior Leonie Edringer, 19 points, 21 rebounds, 5 offensive rebounds, 2 blocks, 8-of-16 shooting
- Sophomore Julia Strachan, 20 points, 4-for-6 three-pointers, 6-of-6 free throws
- Senior Niajah Morgan, 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 offensive rebounds, 7 assists
- Junior Fallyn Stephens, 17 points, 4 assists, 5 three-pointers
- Junior Jess Camarda, 5 rebounds, 6 assists
- Sophomore Katie Murphy,7 points
- Only home contest during current five-game run for Saint Michael's.
- The Purple Knights are now 12-7 all-time against Adelphi, with this being their first home win against the Panthers since Jan. 12, 2013.
- With four blocks Miller upped her career total to 60, passing Anna Florent '09 (57) and Becky Tomsich '02 (58) for 10th in program history. She is now eight behind Kathy King '89 (68) and Alexa Long '14 (68) for eighth in program history. She also registered her first career double-double.
- The Purple Knights held a 40-12 advantage in points in the paint and a 24-14 lead in points off of turnovers.
- Saint Michael's only committed 10 turnovers, while posting 11 steals on 16 Adelphi turnovers.
- The Panthers came out of the gates strong, shooting 6-for-12 in the first 5:13, including three three-pointers from Stephens to go up 15-6 with 4:47 left in the first.
- The Purple Knights then went on a 24-6 run, with Purcell hitting a buzzer-beating, fast-break layup to end the first quarter to put her team in front. Miller tossed in a layup to make it 30-21 with 6:26 remaining in the half.
- Adelphi responded with a 9-1 stretch to trim the deficit to one at the 3:54 mark. MacDonough then scored five quick points for Saint Michael's as it went up by as many as eight points prior to leading 45-39 at the half.
- The Panthers tied the game at 49 apiece with 6:07 left in the third after Strachan was fouled on a three-point attempt and converted all three free throws, capping a 10-2 run.
- The Purple Knights ended the third quarter with a 65-62 lead after Ferreri corralled an offensive rebound and laid it in at the buzzer.
- At the 8:56 mark in the fourth quarter, Strachan hit a tying three-pointer to start an 11-3 run for the Panthers. She netted nine of Adelphi's 11 points during that stretch to make it 73-67.
- With the Purple Knights still down by six, Purcell hit a free throw at 3:04 and Ferreri pocketed a steal on the next possession, finding a streaking Purcell, who converted a layup on the fast break. She drew an unsportsmanlike foul on the play to give Saint Michael's a chance at two free throws and possession. Anderson converted both free throws before Ferreri dropped in the go-ahead bucket to make it 78-77 with 2:41 left.
- Saint Michael's extended its run to 11-0 when Ferreri converted a putback at 1:23 and Anderson hit a jumper with 53.7 seconds remaining.
- With the Purple Knights up 82-77 with 45 seconds remaining, Strachan hit a deep three, while on the next Adelphi possession, Morgan drew a foul with 6.8 seconds left but was only able to convert one of her two free throws, making it 82-81.
- At 5.0 seconds Anderson was fouled and split two free throws to put Saint Michael's up 83-81. Adelphi had one final chance to tie or win the game, but was unable to move the ball past halfcourt.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Next Saturday at Pace University, 1:30 p.m.