ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Sophomore Nicole Anderson's (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep) jumper put the Saint Michael's College women's basketball team ahead for good with 15.6 seconds left in a 70-69 victory over Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College on Friday afternoon in the Voller Athletic Center.
- Saint Michael's (4-7), Roberts Wesleyan (4-8)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 22 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 three-pointers
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 14 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 6 points, 7 rebounds
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 6 points in 12 minutes, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 6 rebounds, 7 assists
- Junior Emily Miller, 22 points, 10 rebounds
- Senior Taylor Bynoe, 15 points
- Junior Sara Nady, 10 points
- First of two games in 24 hours for Saint Michael's in Western New York.
- The Purple Knights played their first game since Dec. 16.
- The teams have now split four all-time meetings, with their contests the last three seasons all decided by 10 points or fewer.
- Saint Michael's held a 42-32 rebounding lead while being credited for 20 assists on 28 made baskets. The visitors also shot 8-for-21 on three-pointers (38.1%) to the hosts' 3-for-13 (23.1%) showing.
- In a game that featured 11 lead changes, the visitors trailed by as many as 11 points.
- Ferreri recorded her third double-double of the year, and third straight double-digit-rebound game.
- Roberts Wesleyan led by as many as six points in the first period, including at 17-11 with 4:27 remaining, but Ferreri had four points in an 8-0 run that gave the visitors their first lead.
- The Redhawks used a 20-7 surge to begin the second frame to take their largest advantage of the game, 37-26, on Emily Miller's lay-in with 50 seconds to go.
- The visitors put together a 15-6 run early in the third to edge within 47-46, as Anderson knocked down two threes in the stretch, but Roberts Wesleyan pushed its lead back to 56-49 on Bynoe's jumper 16 seconds into the fourth quarter.
- Anderson scored the final five points in a 10-2 jaunt that gave Saint Michael's a 59-58 lead at 6:54, accounting for the first of nine lead changes down the stretch.
- Taylor Miller's three straight points lifted the Purple Knights to a 68-66 edge at 1:36, but senior Morgan Patton hit a free throw before junior Tashayla Sutorius came up with a steal and the go-ahead lay-in at 1:18 to give the Redhawks a 69-68 advantage.
- In the waning moments, Anderson drove into the lane and hit a bank shot with 15.6 seconds left for the last lead change.
- With the hosts claiming the final possession, a Redhawk player drove right and tried hitting a bank shot of her own, but it bounced free, and Breunig hauled in the rebound as the final buzzer sounded.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tomorrow at Daemen (N.Y.) College, 2 p.m.