COLCHESTER, Vt. - Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes) posted a triple-double, junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull) added a double-double, and the Saint Michael's College women's basketball team defeated Vermont Technical College, 110-52, on Sunday in the Ross Sports Center. Vermont Tech is 13th in the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Division II national poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-7), Vermont Tech (8-6)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 23 points (tied career high), 10 rebounds, 11 assists (career high), 3 steals, 9-for-14 field goals
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 18 points (career high), 10 rebounds (career high), 2 steals, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 14 points (career high), 9 rebounds (career high), 5 offensive rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 6-for-10 field goals
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 13 points (career high), 6-for-10 field goals
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 13 points (career high)
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 8 points, 9 assists
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- First-year Erika Ochenduszko (Rockland, Mass./Rockland), 7 points (career high), 5 rebounds
- Junior Cassandra Falone (Chatham, N.J./Chatham), 6 points, 4 assists, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- Junior Gabrielle Norwood, 21 points, 6 rebounds
- Junior Jordanna Morris, 15 points, 12 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocks
- First-year Quanisha Ferrol, 11 rebounds
- Ferreri's triple-double is believed to be the first for a Purple Knight since Kelly Borch '99 on Jan. 30, 1999, at Pace University.
- The Purple Knights tied a school record with 33 assists - on 45 made baskets - matching a mark set against Trinity (Vt.) College on Dec. 4, 1983. The hosts committed just nine turnovers.
- Saint Michael's scored 100 points for only the eighth time, and for the first time since Feb. 13, 2004. Its 110 points were good for third in program history, and were the most since the Purple Knights had 118 against the College of Saint Joseph (Vt.) on Nov. 18, 1998.
- The Purple and Gold's 58-point win was its largest since downing Middlebury College, 93-33, with the 60-point margin coming on Dec. 6, 1983 - two days after the record for assists was set.
- Vermont Tech entered the day tied for fourth in USCAA Division II in scoring (81.1) and 12th in opponents' three-point percentage (23.5%), but Saint Michael's shot 45.0 percent (9-of-20) from deep while also holding a 57-42 rebounding advantage.
- Morris was held well below her season average of 29.7, which was second in USCAA Division II.
- The contest was the only home game for Saint Michael's between Dec. 5 and Jan. 8. It was also the Purple Knights' last game until Jan. 4, and the first meeting between the teams.
- Ferreri's steal a little less than a minute into a scoreless game led to a six-point possession, as she was fouled on a fast break before an ensuing technical foul was assessed. After Ferreri went 4-for-4 on free throws, Miller converted Purcell's pass into a lay-in at 8:48 of the opening quarter.
- Another Ferreri steal was followed by Breunig's fast-break bucket at 8:29, and the 8-0 lead bulged to 19-3 by the time Ferreri converted her second straight bucket with 5:28 to go.
- MacDonough buried a three-pointer just before the buzzer to make it 33-13, as the hosts held scoring advantages in each of the first three quarters. Vermont Tech outscored the hosts, 19-18, in the fourth.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Jan. 4 at Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 2 p.m.