COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball stood tied with 19th-ranked Stonehill College with a little more than two minutes remaining on Saturday before losing a 56-44 decision in the Ross Sports Center during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Purple Knights lost their home opener to the Skyhawks, who are 19th in both national polls and qualified for four of the past five NCAA Tournaments, advancing to the 2018 Elite Eight.
- Saint Michael's (1-3, 0-2 NE10), Stonehill (3-1, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Samantha Delaney (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown East), 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 10 points (tied career high), 7 rebounds, 4-for-5 field goals
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 8 points, 3 assists
- Redshirt sophomore Casey Evans (Londonderry, N.H./Saint Andrew's School), 6 points
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Junior Gabrielle Reuter, 16 points, 6 rebounds
- Junior Kelsey Shaw, 9 points
- Senior Maty Diabate, 10 rebounds
- Senior Tayler Worden, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
- Saint Michael's held scoring advantages in the paint (32-20) and off of turnovers (19-14).
- The Skyhawks are 19th in both national polls.
- Stonehill qualified for four of the past five NCAA Tournaments, advancing to the 2018 Elite Eight.
- The Purple Knights held Stonehill to 30.8 percent shooting - including 25.0 percent (5-for-20) from three-point range - for the visitors' lowest percentage in an NE10 game since Jan. 18, 2016, vs. Adelphi University.
- Delaney upped her career rebound total to 601, becoming the 14th player in program history with 600 boards. She also increased her point figure to 859, passing Kelly Borch '99 (848), Kathy Stubbing '87 (851), Anne Marie McLoughlin '91 (852) and Lynne Liebhauser '94 (858) during the contest.
- Delaney's lay-in with 2:53 to go in the first period capped an 8-3 run that put the hosts up 8-5, and Miller's basket at 37 seconds gave Saint Michael's a 13-7 lead, its biggest of the game.
- Saint Michael's still led 15-12 after Purcell's lay-in at 8:31 of the second quarter before Stonehill responded with a half-ending 16-2 stretch, with Reuter scoring seven points.
- Back-to-back hoops from Ferreri and Evans trimmed the deficit to 28-21 at 7:53 of the third period before first-year Isabella Santoro's three-pointer with 4:27 to go pushed the lead to a game-high 16, at 39-23.
- The Purple Knights put together a tying 21-5 run over the next 9:52. Purcell netted six of the points while Delaney posted eight, including deadlocking the teams with a lay-up at 4:16 of the fourth quarter after her steal at the other end.
- Stonehill scored the game's final 12 points, with Shaw hitting a go-ahead three at 2:05 and an insurance baseline jumper at 1:29 before making two free throws in the final minute.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 5:30 p.m.