SPARKILL, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team led regionally-ranked Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College into the fourth quarter before losing a 64-53 decision on Saturday during the Saint Thomas Aquinas Tip-Off Classic in Aquinas Hall. The Spartans qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
- Saint Michael's (1-1), Saint Thomas Aquinas (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 13 points
- Senior Samantha Delaney (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown East), 8 points, 8 rebounds
- Junior Cassandra Falone (Chatham, N.J./Chatham), 8 points, 2-for-3 three-pointers
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 6 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 6 points, 2-for-2 three-pointers
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 3 assists
- Redshirt junior Ruth Adams, 18 points
- Sophomore Emily Preston, 14 points, 6 rebounds
- Redshirt sophomore Kellyann Averill, 13 points, 7 rebounds
- The teams met for the first time since Dec. 1, 2008.
- The Purple Knights held a 29-23 rebounding advantage and shot 51.2 percent from the floor.
- Saint Thomas Aquinas is ranked sixth in the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- The Spartans won the 2018 East Coast Conference (ECC) Tournament and advanced to the regional semifinal round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Preston jumpers twice put Saint Thomas Aquinas up by six in the first quarter, and Averill's jumper with 2:36 left made it 12-6.
- Falone's three-pointer at 7:30 of the second gave the visitors a 19-18 edge, the first of five lead changes in the stanza.
- Saint Michael's ended the half on a 7-0 run, with Ladas burying a go-ahead three at 2:59 for her first career basket before Ferreri scored the final four points. The visitors led 33-28 at the half.
- Delaney extended the Purple Knight lead to a game-high eight (40-32) with a jumper at 2:50 of the third, and Ferreri's buzzer-beating jumper kept her team in front at 42-37 heading into the final stanza.
- The Spartans began the fourth quarter with an 18-1 spurt, with Adams scoring 16 of those points. Falone's jumper made it 55-45 at 5:08, but the Purple and Gold never got the deficit back to single digits.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Southern New Hampshire University, 5:30 p.m.
- The Purple Knights begin Northeast-10 Conference play with the game.