Posted: Nov 08, 2019
COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's swimming & diving team lost to Division I Merrimack College, 150-76, on Friday in the Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (2-3), Merrimack (2-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Maggie King (Clinton, Conn./Mercy), 2 wins
- In just five dual meets this winter, Saint Michael's has already competed against at least one team from each of the NCAA's three divisions.
- Both teams have won three meetings since the series began in 2014-15.
- Saint Michael's faced a Division I side for the first time since Jan. 7, 2012, when the Purple Knights opposed Kansas University and La Salle University in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.
- King won both one-meter diving competitions, scoring 134.70 points in the opener and 125.26 during the second. Sophomore Tess Brown (Westfield, N.J./Westfield) was second in the first event.
- Seniors Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown) and Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional) both posted three runner-up showings, including while siding with first-years Bella Amedio (Schenectady, N.Y./Albany Academy for Girls) and Marisa Butzirus (Coronado, Calif./Coronado) during the 200-yard medley relay.
- White was second in both the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, while Giampietro touched the wall second in the 100-yard breaststroke - trailing the winner by 0.13 seconds - and 200-yard individual medley.
- Butzirus claimed second in the 100-yard backstroke, while junior Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) was runner-up in the 500 free, when she was 0.49 seconds shy of the champion.
- Amedio, senior Reiley Adelson (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Springs), junior Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) and first-year Emma Jane Tagliaferro (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) were second during the 400 free relay. Amedio took third in the 100 breast, and Adelson finished third during the 100 and 1,000 free races.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Both the men's and women's swimming & diving teams host Clarkson University next Saturday, 1 p.m.