WORCESTER, Mass. - Two more school records went down on Sunday as the Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams concluded their 2018-19 seasons when the four-day Northeast-10 Conference Championship came to an end at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) Sports & Recreation Center. In all, nine program marks were broken at the annual meet.
- The Purple Knight men finished sixth among seven schools, their best showing since 2014-15. They totaled 279 points, their highest figure at the meet since 2009-10, and their third-highest in 15 all-time championships.
- The Purple and Gold women claimed ninth out of nine schools (193).
- Bentley University's men (993) and Assumption College's women (900.5) won the team titles.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), 1 school record
- Hopkins lowered his own three-month-old program record in the 200-yard backstroke during morning trials (1:54.79) by 2.21 seconds, taking second in that race after entering as the second seed. It was his fifth school mark of the championship. Hopkins took fourth in the evening finals (1:55.94).
- First-year Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) was 10th in the 1,650-yard freestyle (17:10.04).
- Three Purple Knights qualified for the 200-yard butterfly finals, where senior Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence) took 13th (2:03.08), junior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side) placed 15th (2:07.10) and sophomore Dan Fortier (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich) nabbed 16th (2:11.84).
- First-year Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) captured 14th in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:19.07).
- Sophomore Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene) was 16th in the 100 free (49.09).
- Hopkins, Mulderrig, Stewart and Thornton joined for a seventh-place showing in the 400 free relay (3:15.40), while Imbergamo, senior Seamus Butler (Waltham, Mass./Waltham), and first-years Myron Prograis (Etters, Pa./Cedar Cliff) and William Sullivan (Arlington, Va./Bishop O'Connell) were 14th (3:24.02).
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown), 1 school record
- Senior Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich) placed sixth in the 1,650 free (18:09.95).
- Giampietro set her second school record of the weekend, lowering her own year-old mark in the 200 breast by 0.11 seconds during morning trials (2:28.80). She placed 10th in the finals (2:29.73).
- Junior Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional) was 15th in the 200 fly (2:17.37).
- The Purple Knights' top 400 free relay quartet took ninth (3:46.83), as Giampietro, Kohn, White and senior Tess Grimaldi (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) all swam legs.
- Seniors Elizabeth Doherty (Dedham, Mass./Dedham) and Meg Flanagan (Middletown, R.I./The Prout School/Boston College) and sophomores Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) and Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) comprised the 400 free relay B foursome, which placed 18th (3:59.21).