WORCESTER, Mass. - Three school records fell as the Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams finished up action on the third day of the four-day Northeast-10 Conference Championship on Saturday in the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) Sports & Recreation Center.
- The Purple Knight are sixth among seven schools with 216 points, comfortably ahead of Adelphi University (152). The women stand ninth out of nine with 143 points, within 44 of eighth-place Merrimack College.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), 1 school record
- Junior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side), 1 school record
- Hopkins entered the 100-yard backstroke as the second seed (52.12) and broke his own school record in 51.26 during the morning prelims, lowering the mark he had set only Friday night during the opening leg of the 400-yard medley relay. Hopkins finished fourth in the evening finals (51.73).
- Hopkins also led off for the sixth-place 200 medley relay (1:38.12), which missed a year-old program record by only 0.09 seconds. Seniors Seamus Butler (Waltham, Mass./Waltham) and Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence) and first-year William Sullivan (Arlington, Va./Bishop O'Connell) completed the quartet.
- Senior Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) capped his career by taking sixth in the one-meter diving competition (274.60).
- Mulderrig broke his own year-old school record in the 400-yard individual medley during trials by 1.05 seconds (4:23.88) before taking 12th in the evening finals (4:29.01).
- The Purple Knights put two men in the 100-yard breaststroke finals, as first-year Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) placed 12th (1:02.43) and Butler was 15th (1:03.05).
- During the 200 medley relay, the Purple and Gold's B foursome took 13th (1:47.03), as McGurn, senior Jacob Sutton (Tyngsboro, Mass./Tyngsboro), sophomore Dan Fortier (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich) and first-year Myron Prograis (Etters, Pa./Cedar Cliff) all swam legs.
- Prograis gave Saint Michael's two 100 back finalists, as he took 15th (1:01.66), while Thornton was 15th in the 100-yard butterfly (54.12).
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown), 1 school record
- Giampietro placed sixth in the 100 breast (1:08.07) while taking 13th in the 400 IM (4:44.70), breaking her own year-old school record in the latter by 1.02 seconds.
- Giampietro helped the Purple Knights' top 200 medley relay take ninth (1:53.23), as she joined seniors Tess Grimaldi (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) and Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich) and junior Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional).
- The 200 medley relay B squad placed 19th (2:01.60), with seniors Elizabeth Doherty (Dedham, Mass./Dedham) and Meg Flanagan (Middletown, R.I./The Prout School/Boston College) and sophomores Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) and Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) siding.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow at Day 4 of NE10 Championship.
- Morning session begins at 10:15 a.m. and evening session starts at 5:30 p.m.