COLCHESTER, Vt. - Four first-years comprise nearly one-third of the Saint Michael's College men's swimming & diving roster in 2018-19, as the Purple Knights look to continue building upon one of their most successful seasons over the past decade.
Head Coach: Eileen Hall (9th Year)
Diving Coach: Susannah Gruner Kelley (3rd Year)
Assistant Coaches: Michael Sprague '12 (3rd Year), Sammy Sweeney Keating '12 (2nd Year), Laura Matuszak (16th Year)
2017-18 Record: 3-6
2017-18 Northeast-10 Conference Championship: 7th/7
Seven of team's top eight in wins return ... registered most dual wins since 2009-10 ... set seven school records ... finished second at mid-season North Country Invitational for third straight season, netting their most points (391) in six visits to the meet ... totaled 218.5 points at NE10 Championship, most in three seasons and second-highest figure in eight seasons ... four-man first-year class is program's largest in three years ... junior Connor Hopkins entered 2018 NE10 Championship seeded first in 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard freestyle, and second in 50 free.
Saint Michael's opens the season with consecutive home meets, versus Keene State College on Saturday and Colby-Sawyer College on Nov. 3 ... the next two competitions take the Purple Knights to Northern New York, at Clarkson University on Nov. 10 and at the State University of New York at Potsdam's North Country Invitational on Nov. 16-17, when their first-semester slate concludes ... after a Winter Break training trip to Puerto Rico, the Purple and Gold has five dual meets in 11 days during January, including three at home ... the four-day NE10 Championship kicks off on Feb. 7 at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) ... qualifiers for the NCAA Championship head to Indianapolis, Ind., from March 13 to 16.
- Brandon Bielinski (Windham, N.H./Windham), free, IM | 1 win | joined team for 2nd semester for 1st season of college swimming
- Seamus Butler (Waltham, Mass./Waltham), sprint free, breast | captain | 5 wins | 1 school record | studied abroad during 2nd semester
- Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union), diving
- Jacob Sutton (Tyngsboro, Mass./Tyngsboro), breast, distance free | 2 wins
- Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence), mid-distance free, fly | captain | 10 wins | 2 school records | studied abroad during 2nd semester
- Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), sprint free, back | 26 wins (team leader) | 6 school records | podiumed in 50 free at NE10 Championship | entered NE10 Championship seeded 1st in NE10 in 100 back and 100 free and 2nd in 50 free
- Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side), fly, IM, distance free | 9 wins | 2 school records
- Dan Fortier (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), fly, free | 4 wins | 1 school record
- Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene), free, fly | 10 wins | 3 school records