FRANCONIA, N.H./JACKSON, N.H. - Saint Michael's College Alpine skiing senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié) and junior Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Perbråten VGS) both cracked the top 10 in the giant slalom on Friday during the first day of the two-day University of New Hampshire Carnival. Between Alpine and Nordic events, the Purple Knights are eighth among 15 schools during a meet whose Alpine races are at Cannon Mountain Ski Area and Nordic events are occurring at Jackson Nordic Center.
- The Alpine and Nordic squads combined on the eighth-place showing behind 210 points, just three short of seventh-place Harvard University and 18 away from sixth-place Colby College.
- The Purple Knights are holding off Saint Lawrence University (192) and Bates College (184) heading into the second and final day on Saturday.
- Both the men's and women's squads took fifth on the day.
- The women totaled 80 points to narrowly trail the University of Vermont (81) and Middlebury College (86).
- The men had 81 and were on the heels from Middlebury (87) and host New Hampshire (88).
- Between the two squads, the Purple Knights scored 161 points, good for fifth place, and within striking distance of Middlebury (173), UVM (183) and New Hampshire (188).
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 6th in giant slalom, 2:10.51 two-run time
- 35th career top-10 finish
- Junior Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), 12th, 2:11.91
- First-year Austin Lilley (Winhall, Vt./Stratton Mountain School), 32nd, 2:15.51
- Career-high GS finish
- Junior Zach Bouchard (Merrimac, Mass./Gould Academy), 37th, 2:17.52
- Improved from 43rd following opening run
- First-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 50th, 2:24.23
- College debut
- Junior Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Perbråten VGS), 8th in giant slalom, 2:15.63 two-run time
- 6th career top-10 finish
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 17th, 2:18.71
- Matched career-high placement
- Wore No. 48 bib
- Stood 23rd following opening run
- Junior Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve), 18th, 2:18.86
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 65th in 20K classic, 1:01:22.3
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 72nd, 1:02:42.6
- First-year Mikey Halligan (Gansevoort, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 73rd, 1:02:48.0
- First-year Brian Wing (Chugiak, Alaska/Chugiak), 76th, 1:04:10.8
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 79th, 1:05:16.4
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 85th, 1:12:07.2
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 70th in 15K classic, 56:05.3
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 78th, 59:34.3
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 79th, 1:03:19.7
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 80th, 1:04:33.9
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Saturday at University of New Hampshire Carnival, 9 a.m.