LAKE PLACID, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's Alpine skiing team won the giant slalom on Saturday during the Saint Lawrence University Carnival, placing three student-athletes in the top eight at Whiteface Mountain. With the Nordic skiing team beginning its season today, the squads stand a combined seventh among 17 schools heading into Sunday's final day of Nordic competition at Mount Van Hoevenberg.
- With one day remaining, Saint Michael's is seventh out of 17 schools with 332 points, trailing host Saint Lawrence by 49 points and holding off eighth-place Williams College by 47.
- The men won their second event in three seasons, as their victory in the slalom on Feb. 4, 2017, at the University of Vermont Carnival was their first since the program joined the highest level of the Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) in 1993-94, when the Division I and Division II leagues merged.
- The men scored 119 points to best Dartmouth College by three points, while in-state counterparts Middlebury College (93) and the University of Vermont (81) were third and fourth, respectively.
- Three Purple and Gold men were among the top eight in the GS on Saturday.
- For the entire carnival, the Purple Knight men took second place with 206 points, trailing only Dartmouth (238). The next-closest squad was Middlebury (176), 30 points behind.
- Between the men and women, Saint Michael's was fifth out of 13 Alpine programs during the weekend, scoring 314 points.
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 2nd in giant slalom, 2:10.62 two-run time
- Best GS placement of career
- Seventh career podium, and first time in career reaching podium twice in one carnival
- Trailed winner by 0.28 seconds
- Moved up from third following opening run
- Had fastest second run in the competition (1:05.51), 0.72 seconds better than the second-best time
- Junior Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), 5th, 2:11.98
- Career-high placement
- Wore No. 41 bib
- 0.08 seconds out of fourth place
- First-year Ben Throm (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 8th, 2:13.10
- Wore No. 34 bib
- First completed event in college career
- First-year Austin Lilley (Winhall, Vt./Stratton Mountain School), 35th, 2:18.05
- Stood 50th after opening run
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 28th in giant slalom, 2:27.25 two-run time
- Moved up from 34th after first run
- Junior Kara Gailiunas (Warren, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School), 35th, 2:29.75
- Junior Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve)
- Sat seventh following first run but did not complete second run
- Six skiers made their college debuts, including five men.
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 73rd in 10K skate, 32:17.1
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 79th, 32:38.8
- First-year Brian Wing (Chugiak, Alaska/Chugiak), 85th, 33:26.3
- First-year Mikey Halligan (Gansevoort, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 87th, 33:45.8
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 88th, 33:46.2
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 100th, 37:10.5
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 81st in 5K skate, 19:18.8
- First race since the 2017 EISA Championship after studying abroad as a junior
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 87th, 20:53.3
- First race since the 2017 Dartmouth College Carnival after studying abroad as a junior
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 90th, 23:15.1
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 91st, 23:16.7
- College debut
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Day three of the Saint Lawrence Carnival begins Sunday at 10 a.m., when Nordic teams will compete.