RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College softball team lost a pair of Northeast-10 Conference contests on Tuesday at Franklin Pierce University's Bisaccia Softball Complex, falling on a walk-off home run to the host Ravens, 3-2 in eight innings, before losing a 9-0, five-inning affair with Bentley University. The Purple Knights took on their second and third different opponents in New Hampshire in two days.
- Saint Michael's (3-30, 2-20 NE10), Franklin Pierce (9-27, 5-17 NE10), Bentley (17-21, 13-10 NE10)
Franklin Pierce Game
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 1-for-3, R, SAC
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-4, 2B; 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 1-for-4, 2B
- First-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), 1-for-4, 2B
- First-year Cat Simmons, 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI, HR
- First-year Allie Martinez, 2-for-3, BB
- Sophomore Gina Hinckley, 1-for-3, RBI, 2B
- Senior Sabrina LoMonaco, 3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Junior Amelia Mamone, 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, Win in relief
- Three of the Purple Knights' four hits went for extra bases.
- With eight doubles this year, Rathwell landed in the program's single-season top 10 for the third consecutive spring.
- This was the eighth time in the last 10 meetings that the teams were separated by four runs or fewer.
- Two errors allowed Saint Michael's to put runners at the corners with two down in the first inning, but a fielder's choice ended the threat.
- Junior Kaitlyn Rooney walked with one down in the home half and came around to score on a two-out error.
- The Purple Knights went ahead in the third with a pair of unearned runs. Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic) led off with a walk before Brandenburg beat out a one-out bunt single, and a two-out popup to shallow right field was later dropped, allowing both runners to score.
- Norton led off the fourth with a double and Apkarian began the fifth with a two-bagger, but neither scored, including as Apkarian was erased on an inning-ending 6-3-2 double play at the plate.
- Simmons scored the tying run on Hinckley's RBI double in the sixth, but Rathwell left two Ravens in scoring position by fanning the final batter.
- Rathwell doubled with one out in the eighth and senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial) walked with two down, but the final Purple Knight grounded out.
- Simmons led off the home half with a solo home run to left field.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Rathwell, 1-for-2; 4 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
- Sophomore Lindsey Allen, 4-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB
- First-year Ella Hillier, 3-for-4, 4 RBIs, SB
- Junior Stacey Korotsky, 2-for-3, 3 R, BB
- Junior Kaileigh Serafini, 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs
- First-year Elise Pereira, 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K
- Fifteen of the 30 outs recorded in the game came via strikeouts.
- Saint Michael's was the home team for the rubber game of a three-game series that was scheduled to be played entirely in Colchester. The teams split Friday's opening doubleheader at Doc Jacobs Field.
- Korotsky led off the game with a walk before scoring on Hillier's RBI single.
- Rathwell singled to left with two down in the bottom of the first, but Pereira allowed no other runners.
- Allen and Hillier came through with consecutive two-out RBI knocks in the second.
- Serafini's two-out, two-run single made it 5-0 in the third.
- A two-out error brought home another Falcon in the fourth, and Hillier's two-run single keyed a three-run fifth.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Thursday at Assumption College, 3 p.m. doubleheader.