EASTON, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College softball team opened a four-game weekend series with Stonehill College by losing twice, 9-0 in six innings and 3-2, on Saturday at Fr. Gartland Field during a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader.
- Saint Michael's (2-22, 1-13 NE10), Stonehill (10-18, 7-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-2; 5.2 IP, 6 H, 9 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 1-for-2
- Sophomore Genna Hartman, 2-for-4, 2 R, 3 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Michelle Theilgard, 1-for-3, 2 R, RBI, BB
- Junior Katherine Rayner, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K
- Stonehill scored a pair of unearned runs in the first inning, with both scoring on balls that didn't leave the infield.
- Sophomore Maillie Bennett's two-out RBI triple made it 3-0 in the second, and two unearned runs came home in the fourth.
- Markowski led off the fifth with a single before the Purple Knights put a runner at second with one out, but the final two batters were set down.
- Theilgard singled home another run with two down in the sixth before Hartman's three-run home run invoked the mercy rule.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Markowski, 2-for-3, R
- Rathwell, 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-4, R
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Hartman, 2-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Theilgard, 1-for-3, RBI
- Rayner, 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- The Purple Knights held a 7-6 edge in hits, with each knock in the game a single.
- Rathwell pitched around three base runners during a shutout first inning.
- Theilgard's one-out single plated a run in the second before Rathwell again forced the Skyhawks to leave the bases loaded.
- Apkarian and Markowski opened the fourth with consecutive singles before Rathwell walked, and Tierney's two-run single to right center put the visitors up 2-1. Rayner rebounded by inducing two popups before striking out the final hitter.
- In the home half, Hartman's one-out, two-run single swung the lead back in the hosts' favor.
- Apkarian and Markowski again picked up back-to-back hits in the fifth, this time with two down, but the final batter grounded into a fielder's choice.
- In the seventh inning, first-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) legged out an infield single with two out, but the batter representing the go-ahead run struck out to end the contest.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday at Stonehill, 12 p.m. doubleheader.