COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College softball team opened its home slate with a pair of losses to Southern Connecticut State University, 7-0 and 5-3, on Saturday in a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader at Doc Jacobs Field.
- Saint Michael's (2-16, 1-7 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (6-22, 4-9 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 1-for-2
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 1-for-3
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-3; 7 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 5 K
- Sophomore Jayden Delaporta, 3-for-4, R, 4 RBIs, HR
- First-year Liz DeRosa, 2-for-3, R, 3 RBIs, 2B, SF
- Junior Sara Buscetto, 2-for-4, R, 2 SB
- Sophomore Jazmyn Martinez, 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler) batted leadoff for the fourth straight game, reaching base to begin the contest in each.
- The teams met for the first time since March 21, 2016, in Clermont, Fla., and for the first time at a campus site since March 23, 2013. The Purple Knights had last hosted the Owls on April 22, 2011.
- Saint Michael's played its first home contest of the season.
- Apkarian led off the bottom of the first inning with a 10-pitch walk before Brandenburg beat out an infield single, but Martinez induced a fielder's choice before retiring the final two hitters.
- Both teams left two on base in the second inning.
- Junior Maria Zeceña led off the third inning with a walk before ultimately scoring the winning run on DeRosa's sacrifice fly.
- Rathwell singled with two out in the third inning as the Purple Knights' final base runner.
- Delaporta led off the fourth inning with a home run, and the Owls added three runs in the fifth, with Delaporta adding a two-run single.
- Delaporta's RBI single kicked off a two-run seventh.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Apkarian, 2-for-3, R, RBI, BB, HR
- Rathwell, 3-for-4, R; 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R
- Brandenburg, 1-for-3, BB
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 1-for-4, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, Loss
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Martinez, 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, Save
- First-year Alexa Bacoulis, 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B, 3B
- First-year Ally Petrella, 2-for-3, R
- First-year Jacqueline Dumont, 2-for-4, RBI
- Sophomore Kailey Westington, 5.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, Win
- Apkarian blasted her first collegiate home run.
- The Owls outhit the hosts, 11-10.
- Southern Connecticut State utilized all four of its pitchers during the final two innings, with the final three all entering the game in a save situation.
- Bacoulis tripled with one out in the first inning before scoring on DeRosa's sac fly.
- Bacoulis's two-out, two-run double keyed a three-run second that made it 4-0.
- Apkarian's two-out single in the third was followed by Brandenburg's walk, but the final batter popped out.
- Dumont's RBI single extended the Owl lead in the fifth.
- Saint Michael's again left two on in the fifth, as Welling singled with two out and Apkarian walked.
- After totaling three hits in the first five innings, the Purple Knights registered seven in the final two.
- Markowski launched a two-run double to straightaway center field in the sixth to cut the deficit to 5-2, and sophomore Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill) beat out an infield single to put runners at the corners with one down. However, two groundouts ended the threat.
- In the seventh, Apkarian led off with a home run to left center, and Brandenburg legged out an infield single. One out later, Rathwell singled through the left side on an 0-2 pitch to put runners at the corners, but the first batter representing the winning run flew out for the second out. Martinez came out of the bullpen to strike out her only batter on three pitches to preserve the visitors' win.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. University of New Haven, 12 p.m. doubleheader.