NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial) recorded her 100th career hit to help the Saint Michael's College softball team split a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader on Saturday with 2017 and 2018 NCAA Tournament qualifier Merrimack College on Martone-Mejail Field. The Purple and Gold won the opener, 4-3, before losing 5-0 in the nightcap. With the games originally scheduled to be played at Saint Michael's, the Purple Knights remained the home team.
- Saint Michael's (2-11, 1-2 NE10), Merrimack (11-14, 2-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B, HR; 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-2, 2 RBIs, 3B, HP
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 2-for-2, R, BB
- Senior Hayley Craddock (Campbell River, British Columbia/Carihi Secondary School/Highline), 2-for-4, R, 2 2B
- Senior Emily Kurkul, 1-for-3, RBI
- Sophomore Jennifer Hutnyan, 1-for-3, RBI
- Senior Hannah Johnson, 1-for-4, RBI, SB
- First-year Bryana Michitson, 4+ IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- First-year Jenna Wike, 2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, Loss in relief
- Merrimack qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial) picked up her 100th career hit in the first inning, becoming the 12th player in program history to reach that plateau. She ended the day with 101.
- The doubleheader marked the opener of a three-game weekend series.
- Saint Michael's defeated Merrimack for the first time since April 18, 2015, and on the Warriors' home field for the first time since March 20, 2012.
- Rathwell's home run was the ninth of her career, breaking a tie for eighth in program annals with Kate Condon '11.
- Rathwell put the Purple Knights ahead with a two-out solo homer in the bottom of the first inning.
- Johnson's RBI groundout knotted the game in the third, and Hutnyan's go-ahead RBI single the next frame was followed by Kurkul's run-scoring groundout, making it 3-1.
- Craddock and Rathwell started the fifth with back-to-back doubles, as Craddock scored to produce a one-run margin, and Markowski came up with a single to put Purple Knights at the corners with one down. One out later, Apkarian drilled a two-run triple - the first three-bagger of her career - to put Saint Michael's in front.
- The Purple Knights left runners at the corners in the sixth.
- In the seventh, two singles and a stolen base placed Warriors at second and third with two down, but Rathwell retired the final batter swinging to clinch the victory.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Tierney, 1-for-3
- Rathwell, BB
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Luciellia Colarusso, 2-for-2, BB, HP
- Sophomore Abigail Amato, 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, HR, SB
- Senior Caitlin McBride, 1-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Senior Melanie DeAlmeida, 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K
- Rathwell walked with two down in the first inning before Tierney singled, but DeAlmeida rebounded to retire 18 of the final 19 batters, with only Rathwell reaching on an error leading off the seventh.
- Amato led off the top of the third with a home run before McBride came up with a one-out, two-run single to make it 3-0.
- Merrimack tacked on single runs in the fourth and fifth innings, as Amato provided an RBI groundout before senior Kristina Terrazzano knocked a two-out RBI single for the game's final run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday at Merrimack, 8:30 a.m.