MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College softball team rallied within one run of defending national runner-up Saint Anselm College by the fifth inning before losing a 6-3 decision on Friday afternoon at the South Athletic Fields. The contest was the first of the Purple Knights' four Northeast-10 Conference contests this weekend, as both teams began league play with the game.
- Saint Michael's (1-10, 0-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (13-6, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2B
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 2-for-4, R, 2B; 6 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 0 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-3, RBI
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 2-for-3
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 0-for-1, R, 2 BB
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 1-for-4
- Junior Erin Thompson, 2-for-2, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB, HR
- First-year Bailey Cain, 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Maddison Leite, 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Sophomore Lauren Washburn, 2-for-4, RBI
- Sophomore Kat Stackrow, 2-for-4
- First-year Kylie Fitzpatrick, 1-for-2, R, RBI
- Junior Morgan Perry, 4.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, Win
- Sophomore Courtney Fisher, 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- First-year McKenna Smith, 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, Save
- Saint Anselm had not played since March 9, while the Purple Knights hit the field for the first time since last Friday.
- The Hawks have been tough to beat at home, moving to 28-2 there since 2017 while winning 18 of their last 19 games in the north.
- Tierney picked up career hits No. 98 and 99; only 11 Purple Knights have 100 for a career.
- Rathwell rapped her 22nd career double, moving into a four-way tie for fourth in program annals with Casey Brooks '07, Sarah Murray '15 and Danielle DelGreco '16.
- Saint Michael's was only outhit 12-9.
- Rathwell was left on after a two-out double in the first inning.
- Markowski singled leading off the second but moved no further.
- The Hawks scored four runs on five hits in the home half. Thompson led off with a home run, Leite doubled and scored on Fitzpatrick's single, and Cain capped the frame with a two-run homer.
- Rathwell pitched out of a two-on, none-out situation unscathed in the third.
- Apkarian singled down the right field line to plate Tierney with two out in the fourth.
- Rathwell again stranded a pair of Saint Anselm runners in the bottom half.
- The Purple Knights crept within 4-3 thanks to a pair of two-out runs in the fifth, as Brandenburg scored on a wild pitch before Tierney pushed home Rathwell with a double.
- Junior Shannon Colson walked with the bases loaded and two down in the home portion of the frame to make it 5-3, but Rathwell induced a fly ball to end the threat.
- Welling and Apkarian singled to begin the sixth and Brandenburg walked to load the bases with one out, but Smith came out of the bullpen to record a strikeout before getting the final batter to pop out in foul territory.
- Washburn added an insurance run with an RBI single in the bottom half, and Smith fanned the side in the seventh to clinch the victory.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Merrimack College, 12 p.m. doubleheader.
- Opener of three-game weekend series.
- The Warriors qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.